Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RC Light leakage due to baffle problem

Hi

I have an RC10 Scope with a carbon tube. I have been progressively modifying the scope over the years. I am very pleased with it. But there is always room for improvement.

I remember reading this article some time ago (its from 2013). About halfway down there is a mention of "false light" My scope was the same. As far as I could tell it was not causing problems with my data, or was it.

http://interferometer-tests.blogspot.com/

I then saw this on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHuLrYe-oik

This confirmed what the earlier article had shown. It appears to show that all variants of GSO derived RC`s are affected by this problem. Light is reaching the focal plane directly from the sky, bypassing the secondary into the baffle tube because the baffle tube is to short.

Dimensions for extended baffles are mentioned in the accompanying text.

I have printed one for the RC10 from Thingiverse. With only a small dressing with a file it fitted straight on. Great bit of drawing by Andrew Gutierrez.

I have yet to test the extension under the stars, so we shall see.

1385602549_RC10internal2.jpg.a9e3ddeb2e18e424404662c34dc098a9.jpg                 548634992_RC10internal.jpg.6e49445a74965a029e482634d469f28b.jpg

Baffle printed with Carbon reinforced PETG, so it has a matt finish, although it looks glossy in the picture. Not sure that the baffles ar required in the extention as there are none in the existing baffle tube. Who knows GSO may have got that wrong as well🙂

Next mod on my RC is to remove the outer Ring Baffles that line the carbon tube. As mentioned in the Interferometer artificial. I have ordered Flock from FLO to line the tube.

Hope this helps some RC users out there.

Graham