Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spent all night trying to focus

dblcross

I spent all night trying to use a bahtinov mask on my 6" 900mm refractor using prime focus and eyepiece projection with my nikkon 300d and could never get it right in live view zoom in. I'm a beginner so I don't have extra camera batteries to spend all night trying to focus.  I'm sure you understand my pain when I've taken 107, 30 second exposures in 32F weather and deep sky stacker tells me it sees no stars. Any tips would be great. And I was super excited I caught 3 meteorites in this shot btw!

meterorite orion.jpg

Edited by dblcross

I would agree with @Rallemikken with the focus and tracking. Your starshapes have an elongation along the DEC axis, indicating polar alignment issues. Could also be mount shakiness in your DEC axis if you touched the camera every time you took a picture. If the latter is true, figure out a way to shoot without physically touching the camera.

What mount was used and was it polar aligned? a 6'' refractor will be a heavy load for most mounts, so i am willing to bet this is a major part of the issues.