Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep cleaning Required

I've just noticed that both the Primary mirror and the Corrector plate on my Celestron 127SLT are extremely dirty.

The previous owner kept it in the lounge of his house so i can only assume the general dirt and crap that floats around has go into it over time.

Being totally new to Astronomy and Telescopes would it be advisable to take it to a local Astronomy shop and let them clean it or is it within the realms of a total novice to undertake.

31 minutes ago, Deepblue12 said:

I've just noticed that both the Primary mirror and the Corrector plate on my Celestron 127SLT are extremely dirty.

The previous owner kept it in the lounge of his house so i can only assume the general dirt and crap that floats around has go into it over time.

Being totally new to Astronomy and Telescopes would it be advisable to take it to a local Astronomy shop and let them clean it or is it within the realms of a total novice to undertake.

How dirty is extremely dirty? Can you still see the mirrors?

You may be surprised to hear that dust and dirt on mirrors/lenses has a negligible effect on their performance. It's often better to just leave it, especially if you don't know what you're doing, although it is something that can be done relatively easily (as a total novice, to use your words, the most difficult part would likely be realigning and collimating the mirrors post cleaning).

How do you know that the mirrors (enclosed inside the scope body) are dirty? How would the dirt get in there? Dismantling these scopes is not a task for novices.

If you are not confident about cleaning the outer surface of the corrector, it would be wise to let someone experienced do it.

Perhaps post some photos of how dirty? I have dismantled several similar types of scopes and I second the advice above: if cleaning really is required, it’s best done by a professional.

A common and seemingly intuitive first step in dismantling these scopes is actually potentially disastrous. Look up “reverse engineering skymax” for a link to what’s involved.

Cheers Magnus

If that is on the primary mirror, which it looks as though it is, it would be well beyond my personal threshold for getting it cleaned. Some of the crud looks as though it may be organic. Arrange a day trip to Exeter perhaps and drop it off to FLO for a service?

12 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The picture shows a significant amount of dirt on the outside of the corrector plate. There is no evidence in the photo of any dirt inside.

I  just looked again and wondered the same thing. Theres definitely something on the mirror but I can see some marks on the both the inside and outside of the corrector plate so it looks like i still need to clean it somehow.

I've actually just found a link how to remove the Corrector plate on the 127 so i'll do that which should then allow me to see the mirror directly. (which hopefully will be clean)

Just need to buy the necessary cleaning products first

1 hour ago, Deepblue12 said:

I've actually just found a link how to remove the Corrector plate on the 127 so i'll do that which should then allow me to see the mirror directly. (which hopefully will be clean)

I would suggest that you clean the outside of the corrector plate and see how that goes before you think of removing it.  The corrector plate already has an obstructing mirror stuck in the middle of it, so a few specks of dust on the inner surface or on the main mirror are not going to make the performance any worse.

• Like 1

I think thats one of the frustrating things about this...not knowing if what is on the Corrector is causing any real issues despite what it looks like to an admitted novice.

What it really needs is someone with a bit of experience to take a look and go "leave it or clean it". There are a couple of Astronomy clubs nearby so think its now worth joining one and seeking the advice of others with much greater knowledge than me. 😀

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my post, all comments much appreciated.