Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

63 And spectrum with SA100

Hi Gents,

I had so many hiatuses with getting this Bresser 114/500 to piggy-back my mount.  I'm back now to where I was 6 months ago!  Anyhow it seems to be working.  Bresser f/4.4 mounted on my main scope on an EQ6 with a QHY5iii178mm and SA100.  It worked well last night, so here it is (63 And - B9v) 50 exposures stacked in Siril with darks and flats corrected and calibrated in Bass with an old response file from before.  Everything's changed but it seems to work.  Obviously I need to update the response file.

image.png.cd6fde1106182bdbc6b802de44e083dc.png

(NB Just updated with darks and biases.  Much smoother response)

Does anyone have some nice ideas for spectroscopy in the current season, assume we get any more clear nights?

Kind regards

Steve.

Edited by SteveBz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SteveBz said:

Does anyone have some nice ideas for spectroscopy in the current season

Have you bagged a Uranus spectrum yet?  Well placed in the early evening, about  the same brightness as 63 And. It should appear pretty much star like in your short focal length Newt so give a sharp spectrum showing nice Methane bands.  G0v star 29 Ari is conveniently nearby too at the moment and similar enough to the G2v solar spectrum so if you take that as well and divide one by the other (no need to correct for response) you should get the reflectance spectrum of Uranus direct without the contamination from the solar spectrum features.

Cheers

Robin

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robin_astro said:

Have you bagged a Uranus spectrum yet?  Well placed in the early evening, about  the same brightness as 63 And. It should appear pretty much star like in your short focal length Newt so give a sharp spectrum showing nice Methane bands.  G0v star 29 Ari is conveniently nearby too at the moment and similar enough to the G2v solar spectrum so if you take that as well and divide one by the other (no need to correct for response) you should get the reflectance spectrum of Uranus direct without the contamination from the solar spectrum features.

Cheers

Robin

Hi Robin,

I was so excited by your suggestion.  I thought it would be really interesting and quite challenging, however, I've just checked its location and I see it's almost bang on the ecliptic.  Sadly I don't think I can get that low.  I normally work on about 35-30 degrees Declination in the South.  But I guess this must vary by time of year.  Wednesday is looking good, I'll take a photo as low as I can and platesolve to see how low it is.

Kind regards,

Steve.

4 hours ago, SteveBz said:

sadly I don't think I can get that low.

It culminates ~19:00UT at ~50 deg altitude from here in the north of England at the moment so should be a few degrees higher for you.

https://airmass.org/chart/obsid:wright/date:2022-01-11/sso:p%3AUranus

The problem could be the moon though at the moment which is very close tonight, only 4 deg away, moving away but getting fuller over the next few nights.

Cheers

Robin

• Like 1