Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Beginner Telescope!!

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all well!

I’m a newbie in the world of astronomy and exploring space with more then just my eyes. I’ve been looking for months now for a good, first telescope to start with. I’ve stumbled across many telescopes that seem good at first but once I search around a bit there’s deeper complaints. I figured I’d come on a forum like this and ask, I guess, “pros” what their opinions are. I most recently looked at the Skywatcher Mercury 707; does anybody know if this is good? Or any suggestions as to where I can start? My budget would be around £150.

Hi and welcome , I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a pro but I have owned quite a lot of scopes . So , for your budget your options in terms of quality are a bit limited . Firstly we need to know what you are interested in seeing .. is it the moon and planets or some fainter deep sky objects . 

I have a couple of suggestions , skywatcher sell a flex tube reflector telescope that comes with its own mount its called skywatcher flex tube 130 which is only slightly over your budget . The only possible draw back is the fact that you would need to use some kind of table to put it on . At the moment there is a 150 bresser dob up for sale on the forum its a fantastic first scope and it's up for sale for 150 pounds . Second hand equipment us usually well looked after so don't discount it . The other first scope is up fact not a scope but a good pair of binoculars . Some of the night sky wonders are best seen in binoculars ie the plaides openstar cluster . 

You will probably get a lot of people with a lot of good suggestions on here in other words you've come to the right place 

Good luck in your journey in astronomy  :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi and welcome , I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a pro but I have owned quite a lot of scopes . So , for your budget your options in terms of quality are a bit limited . Firstly we need to know what you are interested in seeing .. is it the moon and planets or some fainter deep sky objects . 

I have a couple of suggestions , skywatcher sell a flex tube reflector telescope that comes with its own mount its called skywatcher flex tube 130 which is only slightly over your budget . The only possible draw back is the fact that you would need to use some kind of table to put it on . At the moment there is a 150 bresser dob up for sale on the forum its a fantastic first scope and it's up for sale for 150 pounds . Second hand equipment us usually well looked after so don't discount it . The other first scope is up fact not a scope but a good pair of binoculars . Some of the night sky wonders are best seen in binoculars ie the plaides openstar cluster . 

You will probably get a lot of people with a lot of good suggestions on here in other words you've come to the right place 

Good luck in your journey in astronomy  :)

Cheers for the reply! I guess for now viewing planets and closer nebulae are what I’m interested in currently. Thanks for the suggestions I’ll have a look into them now. Also stupidly never really thought of binoculars as a thing to look at the sky with so thanks for that suggestion too 😂. Another question I have leading on from that , if you don’t mind me asking , for the skywatcher flex tube 130 you suggested, do you know whether I’d be able to attach it to a tripod instead of having to use a table or surface to use it? Thanks

Edited by Jrjc