Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Session 1 for 2022!

Davesellars

Ooh, it's been a long time... :)  I promised myself this year I'd find the time to take advantage of every clear night to get one of the scopes out.

Targets for this year are making a good effort on the Herschel 400 however I need a couple of sessions to get back into it for findinig the fuzzies so I elected to start with the 120ST on an Alt/Az mount.

Started at around 9pm, Orion was already in a good position.  Great without any filter using a Delos 17.3mm and showing consider nebulous detail with the 10mm however using an Astronomik UHC showed almost a complete arc of the entirety of the nebula which was a good result for this aperture.  The running man was also clearly visible.  I spent an inordinate amount of time just soaking up the detail from M42 - a good start!!!

Conditions being good and reasonable darkness I headed up the Flame Nebula which I have seen before but with much large aperture. Unfortunately, this proved to much - despite trying UHC, OIII and HBeta (although i'm suspecting the Explore Scientific Hbeta is far much more like a UHC than a Hbeta!).  I also found it difficult with Alnitak being so bright thus probably the need for much larger aperture to concentrate on a much more limited view.

M78 without any filter was reasonably easy with a hint of the nearby NGC2071 as well reminded me to search out much more reflection nebula this year using the 12" dob.

M1 Crab Nebula was obvious with a small amount of detail but mainly wisp like.  Will come back to this tonight with a bit of luck if the clear skies continue...

M45 - just because it's so obvious...  Nice sight with the wide view of the 120ST.  No nebulosity observed however.

Uranus - A tiny green / grey disc - it's been a few years since I last observed it!

M76 (little dumbbell nebula) - Slight small smudge, no filter necessary.  Not a bad result as I remember this one as being a lot more diffiicult.

M31 / M32 / M110.  M31 was a nice view with the Delos 17.3mm.  M110 just about visible.   I needed to get to this a little bit earlier on in the evening really to take advantage of it higher altitude.

M33 - failed as not really high enough and I've only had a good view of this before with larger aperture (i'm on optimist though so gave it a go...)

M97 Owl nebula easily visible without any filter although no detail and a slight hint of M108.

M81/M82 clear and good detail especially on M82 with the dark lane cutting across it.

Packed up around midnight - toes frozen (must remember to weat thick socks and boots next time!).  I was happy with that to start the year and looking very much forward to getting out again with the larger aperture of the dob!

• Like 5