NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Last session of the year -HNY all

bomberbaz

Again a short session of 20 minutes as there was a brief break in the cloud, I didn't have time for hunting around so it was easy target session around the east/s-east.   (interesting area which happens to have worst light pollution)

I clapped in the 18mm APM UFF which give x26 and a 2.5 degree FOV. Briefly I spent a few minutes on M42, Hyades, Pleiades and Capella.

I had to use the 18mm as I wanted to try out the TV UHC filters on Orion neb using the APM 24mm but I accidentally dropped one and damaged the thread area of the barrel. Thankfully the rest is undamaged and visually there is no problem but annoying much.

Anyway, back to result; Orion was decent but quite low and it was a little murky, can't wait to get to a darker site to view it with the bins but I know the prospects are there. Capella was nice to sweep around with the FOV picking out so much of the lovely pin points of stars.

Finally, Plieades was gorgeous, no nebulosity but beautiful to get it into the FOV with so much more surrounding area in it and the pièce de résistance  was Hyades. I have viewed it many times before with my other bins but never seen it so beautiful before. So many more stars, everything so much brighter, just so amazing that I am at a loss for more description but suffice to say, it was a cracking 20 minute session.

• Like 3

Steve

Glad you got a 31/12 session in, amazing it cleared at all last night.
I grabbed two looks, one from home with Binoculars and one naked eye 15 miles away at my daughters.
All unexpected and all the more rewarding for it.

Happy New Year to you

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alan White said:

Steve

Glad you got a 31/12 session in, amazing it cleared at all last night.
I grabbed two looks, one from home with Binoculars and one naked eye 15 miles away at my daughters.
All unexpected and all the more rewarding for it.

Happy New Year to you

Glad you also got a view for NYE, get some 8x40 for your car though, haha