NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spotty sun on 22 Dec

Kon

I have been wanting to see the several sun spots that had developed the past few days but with our cloudy weather I though it would not be possible. I managed a 20min seeing this afternoon when there was a break in the haze. Omg it was amazing to see the several sun spots. The most prominent were the 2916 and 2907. I managed a couple of shots on prime focus on my 8" Dob  and Baader sun filter (I also realise my DSLR sensor needs a bit of cleaning since there are more spots than currently accounted for). I labeled my sun spots based on this website: https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/sunspots/

As I am writing this post the sky is completely dark from the clouds.

DSC_0336sun.png.682b6c80ab3eab0fff3dcbc730da88cb.png

• Like 6

I’m most jealous, well done! I had noticed a brief spell without cloud here too but I was just too busy with work.

Out of interest. During the last “spotty sun” at the beginning of September I was surprised how much my daughter enjoyed observing the sun and it’s spots. She also had a friend over who was equally impressed. And her friend isn’t nearly as interested as my daughter. You could tell from the “wows” and series of questions, not all of which I could answer. There was certainly more interest than something like the Orion Nebula. 

Some of this was down to the fact it was warm, no waiting around in order to get eyes use to the dark, we had a BBQ going and I gave a long lecture on the dangers of looking at the sun. Kids love anything that sounds risky. I also rammed it home by using a magnify glass to burn a hole in a bit of paper and then light the BBQ. All a lot of fun. 

Edited by PeterStudz
Spelling
  • Like 1