SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount suitable for Skylight 60mm F16.7 Telescope

Dave1

Hi guys,

I haven't been able to practice astronomy for awhile as life has got in the way, and lack of equipment. The only telescope I have left is my Skylight 60mm F16.7. I'm looking for a mount and tripod with GoTo as it will be used for double stars and planets. 

Telescope weights 3.6KG and is 1 meter long.

Dave

If you are saying the EQ3-2 Synscan is adequate. Do you think the Skywatcher AZ GTI WiFi mount will be up to it? As they both have a weight capacity of 5kg? 

I'm looking for the lightest weight GoTo mount possible.

Update on this, ordered an secondhand Helios Sky Scan 2001 EQ3-2 mount including tripod. Only has manual slow motion controls currently. But I have two Onstep style GoTo control boxes. All I need to order are NEMA17 stepper motors and brackets for the motors to convert this mount to GoTo. 

I will create a separate thread for when I start the project.

• Like 1

I have mounted my 76mm f/16.4 Skylight on an EQ3-2, personally I don't think it was adequate, took in the region of 4-5 secs vibration damping time. Obviously, it's slightly larger than a 60mm, but the weight and length aren't much more.

Good luck with your project though.

I've used my Skylight 60mm on a Helios Sky Scan 2001 before, was very study. I only sold it because I went off of EQ mounts. The only reason I am getting back into EQ mounts is because as someone that predominantly observes planets, an EQ mount makes the most sense. I probably will eliminate the dovetail bar and mount the telescope rings directly to the mount, thus eliminating what can be another source of vibration. Usually when people blame mounts it is in fact the tripod. If the tripod is no good, I will mount the EQ3-2 on my Fullerscopes pedestal. 

R.4ebcbc7635444765a6120f54777c781e?rik=u

• Like 1