NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OMC or Tal?

I am primarily a visual planetary observer and wish to upgrade from my current C4-R. I have a Celestron NexImage and have attempted images of the planets. The two links below are the two new telescopes I am considering, if I were to side with the Tal-150K I would buy axis drives for the EQ3-2. I cannot decide which is the better! Any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks

Tal-150K

http://telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON07B000188

OMC140 GP-2

http://telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON08G000064

hi

out of the two the omc140 with its long focal length is more suited to planetary work and the fact that the tripod is a lot stronger is also an added bonus. I am sure i have read somewhere about how hard the TAL is to collimate as well but i am sure someone with greater knowledge than me will answer you soon.

Hi.

I've got a the 150k's big brother the 200k.

There aren't a lot of people out there that I've heard of that have the smaller Klev. I had considered it, but a 2nd hand 200k came my way a while back.

Here are my thoughts on the Tal.

No thick meniscus like std maks(this considerably quickens cooldown). No need for a dewshield either. Has a mirror/lens combo in the corrector assembly which has a Central obstruction of 36%.

Has a fixed primary mirror, therefore, no focusing mirror flop. Focus is achieved with a 1.25" rack and pinion focusser. Comes with an adjustable diagonal, 2x barlow and 2 eyepieces. Also a very nice 6x30 finder with crosshairs.

Collimation shouldn't be a problem with no moving optical parts and the whole assembly is built like a T-34 tank. If necessary the primary mirror can be tweaked.

I think the ota with finder and diagonal is approx 5.5kg

All this in a wooden storage crate.

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: At F10 the Tal is more of an all rounder field of view wise.

Archived