NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

10 inch v 6 inch

mdstuart

So I put both my 6 inch and 10 inch out last night, very clear night to test the new beast against my old faithful TAL.

I tried many targets and as when I moved up from a 4.5 to 5.1 and then 5.1 to 6 the difference was not WOW that is so much better but yes I can see that it is better but it is not a massive difference.

Take M35 and NGC 2158 for example. Normally with the 6 inch I find NGC 2158 the little fuzzy cluster on the edge of M35 a challenge on all but the best nights. Last night NGC 2158 was there in the 6 inch particularly with averted vision. So what would a 10 inch do. I presumed NGC 2158 would jump out and be very obvious but no, it was still faint but now visible with direct vision and more shape was visible....

Tried my Pole star magnititute test and it is clear the 10 inch beast is better with many stars below 13 mag now visible..

Then on to some galaxies...M109 for the first time, then NGC 3344 in Leo Minor, then the trio NGC 4026 / 4088 and 4157. All visible in the 10 inch although 4157 was only just with averted vision, mag 12.2 is quoted.....

So I am really pleased with the 10 inch but do not buy one thinking this is going to just be another world. Things that are faint in a 6 inch will still be faint in a 10 inch. but you will be able to see things that the 6 inch cannot pick out.....

Thought you might like a report...

Plus LULIN is fab as is Saturn through both scopes!!!

Regards

Mark:)

Thats an interesting report Mark - having recently moved from an 8" to a 12" I'd echo what you say - yes, there is a difference but not a quantum leap in performance.

I suspect that variable observing conditions hit larger scopes more actually so there will probably be nights when the differences are more obvious and some when a smaller aperture will actually do better.

John

I've just stepped up from 8" to 12" and I know what you mean - my first feeling on looking at M51 was mild disappointment. But then I remembered that my first feeling on looking at M31 through the 8" was disappointment too - we always expect too much. It was once I began looking at less familiar objects that my heart rose. I hadn't looked at the Eskimo nebula for a few years - seeing it in the 12" was an absolute wow compared to my memory of it through the 8". I was also delighted by how many more objects I could see, that would have been out of range of the 8". When I looked at M51 again I began to appreciate how much more I was really seeing.

Going from 8" to 12" allows you to see 0.9 mag fainter - from 6" to 10" is an ever bigger magnitude difference of 1.1. Maybe once you start viewing new objects that the 6-inch couldn't touch, you'll have your wow moment. Or try sweeping the Virgo cluster - I well remember the first time I did it with the 8-inch, truly awe-inspiring, finding galaxies popping into view so easily. First time with the 12-inch was simply mind-blowing.

Andrew

Oh yes do not get me wrong the 10 inch is better and I am already enjoying it and as you say when Virgo is up shortly I am going to feel like that night Messier had when he went from abotu M85 to M99 in an evening!

Mark

Archived