SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sh2-223 & Sh2-224 in Auriga

gorann

These two quite faint objects from the Sharpless catalogue were once thought to both be supernova remants (planetary nebulae) but now only Sh2-224 (the one to the left) is recognized as a supernova remnant, with the typical blue Oiii mixed with Ha emission. Sh2-223 does not contain any detecatble (Oiii) and is now thought to be a Ha emitting nebula energized by the star BD+41 1144. For those that want to read more about thes objects a good start is, as allways, to read Gary Imm's description of his rendention of these objects (https://www.astrobin.com/380492/F/), where also BD+41 1144 is pointed out.

To me Sh2-224 looks like some kind of flying creature. or rather gliding, coming in for landing on Sh2-223.

Data collected 10 Nov 2021 with my dual RASA8 rig on a Mesu200. ASI2600MC (gain 100, offset 30, -10°C) with IDAS NBZ filer (Ha and Oiii dual band). 110 x 5 min, so 9.2 hours. Processed in PI and PS. After some initial stretches I made a starless image using the Star Xterminator filter before stars were brought back. This greatly helped to suppress the starfield that otherwise can easily overwhelm these quite faint nebulae.

Cheers, Göran

20211110 Sh2-223-224 RASA1+2 PS22smallSign.jpg

• Like 17