Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you frame your target (wide field)

Thorney

Last night I thought I would try and capture the heart and soul in the same frame. I’m using a Redcat 51 and ASI2600 so I know both targets will fit. However I chose NGC1027 to slew too then I would manually move the mount  until everything was in frame but no matter what I done I would be cutting out either nebula.  
So I’m wondering is there an easier way to frame up the targets or is it just get close then manual move? 
Once I have got it how I want it, I’m hoping I can plate solve and then keep going back to that position and already be lined up. 

Initially I use Stellarium's Framing Tool and pick a star at or near the centre of the frame. I then record the J2000 co-ordinates and put them into a new custom target in APT, then platesolve to that location.

Then take an image and see what you've got (you may have to rotate the camera for the best framing) and if it needs fine tuning APT has the Aim tool in the platesolving module. You just click on the current image to tell APT where you want the centre of the image to be and it will platesolve to that location.

I use NINA as it has a very good framing tool where you can set you exact framing and rotation. It is the main reason I use NINA over APT. I also prefer the interface. It will also platesolve to the location you have framed and tell you how much to turn the camera.

+1 on Stellarium. Since I use KStars/Ekos to drive my scope it would be simpler to just use it to previsualize, but the UI is clunkier -- for example to rotate the FOV symbol, you have to go through a menu entry and type in a number, where with Stellarium it's just a single click to rotate some number of degrees.

I also don't run KStars with background imagery on my scope-mounted Pi, that makes it kinda laggy. One advantage to the folks running their scopes with laptops or more high-powered machines.