NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

And DIY tripods out there?

bilbs84

so after driving 150km each way to go and buy a Star Adventurer star tracker a few days ago, then Bricking my EOS 60D while getting everything set up while waiting for dark.  Then at least trying to polar align the mount that night and not even getting close, I found myself almost ready to give up.

I found a decently priced 70D on eBay, and boxed the tracker back up.  I was planning on using it on a Manfrotto be free tripod, but did find it to be somewhat shaky.  Lowering it quite short helped, but laying on the grass to align doesn't interest me that much.

Anyway, last night, I thought I'd at least try aligning the mount again, since the stars were visible for what will probably be the last time for a couple of weeks.  I was actually able to find the octans stars in the scope, and get a coarse alignment done.  So at least now I'm hopeful again.  But I need a better tripod.

So, that got me thinking, has anyone else built there own tripods, and what sort of designs have you done.  I was considering something out of steel.  It wouldn't exactly be portable, and it wouldn't be light, but I was thinking that might actually be a good thing?

I'd be interested to hear people's thought.

17 minutes ago, bilbs84 said:

so after driving 150km each way to go and buy a Star Adventurer star tracker a few days ago, then Bricking my EOS 60D while getting everything set up while waiting for dark.  Then at least trying to polar align the mount that night and not even getting close, I found myself almost ready to give up.

I found a decently priced 70D on eBay, and boxed the tracker back up.  I was planning on using it on a Manfrotto be free tripod, but did find it to be somewhat shaky.  Lowering it quite short helped, but laying on the grass to align doesn't interest me that much.

Anyway, last night, I thought I'd at least try aligning the mount again, since the stars were visible for what will probably be the last time for a couple of weeks.  I was actually able to find the octans stars in the scope, and get a coarse alignment done.  So at least now I'm hopeful again.  But I need a better tripod.

So, that got me thinking, has anyone else built there own tripods, and what sort of designs have you done.  I was considering something out of steel.  It wouldn't exactly be portable, and it wouldn't be light, but I was thinking that might actually be a good thing?

I'd be interested to hear people's thought.

Not sure why you would need to lay on the grass as the camera has a articulated screen and one of these held against the polarscope would eliminate that.

2011168598_Seagullrightanglefinder-7.jpg.b6c005d22b6a7ab212936c4d578238b6.jpg

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

Not surprised the befree was too wobbly, that's a tiny, lightweight travel tripod , I think it weighs less than a couple of kg ?

I've not tried any out, but came across some interesting looking plans for triopds when I was looking for DIY observing chair plans, here are a few I bookmarked :

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/build-a-low-cost-wooden-tripod/

https://www.eyesonthesky.com/tutorials/diy/2x4-tripod/

http://www.davetrott.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/How-to-Redeem-a-Department-Store-Telescope1.pdf

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/how-to/making-a-sturdy-wood-tripod-r1270

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Not sure why you would need to lay on the grass as the camera has a articulated screen and one of these held against the polarscope would eliminate that.

2011168598_Seagullrightanglefinder-7.jpg.b6c005d22b6a7ab212936c4d578238b6.jpg

Alan

I'm at 38° south, so the axis is quite steep, and if the tripod legs aren't extended, it's only about 500mm off the ground.  The camera isn't the issue, it's looking through the polar scope, and it doesn't really have any provision for changing eyepieces or adding diagonals.

I did consider trying to attach a webcam to it though.

34 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Not surprised the befree was too wobbly, that's a tiny, lightweight travel tripod , I think it weighs less than a couple of kg ?

I've not tried any out, but came across some interesting looking plans for triopds when I was looking for DIY observing chair plans, here are a few I bookmarked :

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/build-a-low-cost-wooden-tripod/

https://www.eyesonthesky.com/tutorials/diy/2x4-tripod/

http://www.davetrott.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/How-to-Redeem-a-Department-Store-Telescope1.pdf

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/how-to/making-a-sturdy-wood-tripod-r1270

I'd considered something out of dead trees, but I have ZERO wood tools, but have plenty of metal working tools, access to welders etc.  Steel is just what I'm comfortable with.

I've got some ideas in my head, and it would end up at about 20kg once assembled.  Would the tripod being quite heave be an advantage for stability?

8 minutes ago, bilbs84 said:

I'm at 38° south, so the axis is quite steep, and if the tripod legs aren't extended, it's only about 500mm off the ground.  The camera isn't the issue, it's looking through the polar scope, and it doesn't really have any provision for changing eyepieces or adding diagonals.

I did consider trying to attach a webcam to it though.

The DSLR right angled viewfinder that I mentioned solves that problem and only needs to be held against the polarscope although there are more expensive "astro versions" available like this.

Alan

12 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The DSLR right angled viewfinder that I mentioned solves that problem and only needs to be held against the polarscope although there are more expensive "astro versions" available like this.

Alan

At the moment, I wouldn't be able to hold anything against the polar scope, and still be able to make out the stars in it.  I can't even breathe on the setup without every star in view disappearing in the blur lol.  I understand that may be different once things are more rigid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bilbs84 said:

I'd considered something out of dead trees, but I have ZERO wood tools, but have plenty of metal working tools, access to welders etc.  Steel is just what I'm comfortable with.

I've got some ideas in my head, and it would end up at about 20kg once assembled.  Would the tripod being quite heave be an advantage for stability?

Weight is good for stability, but obviously you need a permanent site for it to avoid breaking yourself trying to shift the thing . Way out of my field of knowledge, but I've read that people do build (or buy) piers , hefty columns as alternatives to tripods, do a search in the box top right for piers, and you'll see plenty, some will be concrete blocks, but there will be metal ones too.

It would be semi permanent.  Breaking it down would be a P.I.T.A. but doable.  Each leg would weigh a little under 6 kg.  I plan on doing a lot of my imaging from my back yard, and just traveling from time to time.  

I'll have a look into piers, and see what I can come up with.  I'm just trying to avoid spending a few hundred bucks on a decent tripod.

I'll put the change into a piggy bank and try saving for an EQ6-R instead.

12 hours ago, bilbs84 said:

a few hundred bucks on a decent tripod.

Sounds a lot. I made a wooden tripod for my SLT GoTo mount, attaching three 35mm square legs to a spare "bowl" SLT tripod head. I f you are not handy with tools, tripods (in the UK) are relatively inexpensive, and we can buy a flat-topped version of the heavy tripod used with the EQ-5 and AZ-4-2 mounts for a little over £100.  I don't think you need a massive tripod to mount a camera tracker.