Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More on the Baader Hyperion 8-24 clickstop zoom eyepiece MK 3.

Chaz2b

Note this the mk 3 version. I purchased this used and know that it has issues, but I like to tinker so wanted to see for myself what the issues are and if I could shed light on what I found.

Yes it was sticky, hence it’s cheap price of only £50, some may still think that was high for this mk.

I then looked up the previous threads on this forum and some others to follow how to get into the gubbings. It was quite simple to get straight to the main culprit, undo the nose  piece, grab hold of the sheath around the bottom helix race and puuuuullll! It off.

I immediately saw one of the problems with this individual zoom, the brass screw that follows the race when you rotate it was loose! I picked it out, the threads looked okay but it wouldn’t rescrew back into its hole, those threads were stripped!

My assumption is that when the previous owner found it stuck,that person  really used too much force in trying to unstick it, this pushed the race against the brass screw, back and forth until it gave way stripping the threads.

I then removed the top covers, finding the ball bearing that provides the click was missing along with two grub screws. This tells me someone had already tried to remedy the problem loosing the parts in the process.   The top races move around without problems, it’s the bottom smaller race that sticks. I dropped some electrical contact cleaner into that race, and with a little persuasion Freed it. I was easily able to move the lens tube up and down. I then used a clean micro fibre cloth with some more cleaner to wipe around the tube with the lens retracted to ensure I have wiped that problem grease away.

My problem is placing the brass screw back into a hole that has stripped threads! There’s not a lot of leeway. My first attempt will be with a quality thread lock . A tiny amount on the tip of the brass screw. If successful, then I will apply a small amount of dry lube with PTFE on the race way.

Hopefully I can bring this troublesome zoom eyepiece back to life, we’ll see…..literally!

chaz.

9F7916A2-2350-4B48-A9D6-56518AE8909C.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b

• Chaz2b changed the title to More on the Baader Hyperion 8-24 clickstop zoom eyepiece MK 3.

Dave, I can’t tell you if Baader finally rectified the problem with the mk3 version, but a batch was sold that had a problem grease that actually froze the races, hence various forum threads on the matter.

I’ve still to source a couple of grub screws and ball bearing, but also a very thin silicone/rubber ring that seals the upper cover, I found it with part of it missing…hmmmm.

chaz

• 3 months later...

To conclude with what I found and haven’t done… if you have a seized Baader mk3, you might not have to touch the upper parts, just the lower lens. As mentioned, getting at the problematic part is relatively easy, you just pull off the ring shroud. This exposes the brass screw which has a white plastic tube fitted to it, this I believe may be a ptfe/ Teflon tube and acts as the bearing, undo this minute screw and gently place to one side. Add a few drops of electrical contact cleaner into the race and rotate the eyepiece around so it can get into the grease, it might take a while for it to do it’s job, but not that long. I then applied some force against the tube that the lens fits into and it eventually freed it. You must get the grease out without touching the lens. 
Now, replacing that brass screw, it’s tricky! Small and easy to drop, catapult across the room! and drop again…and again!

I did not add thread lock or any other adhesive into the knackered threaded hole as I was concerned that it might seize up the gubbings again. Finding the ball bearing and spring missing means i now have a constant variable zoom. I fitted it to my latest purchase, a Celestron 80ed Ultima, and wow! It works very well, but I’m tempted to get the mk4…lummy! 
chaz