Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Astromod Complication

Hello,

So I've recently modified my Canon 1200d / Rebel t5i by removing the IR filter from the front of the censor. I did the modification myself as I felt pretty confident and thought it went smoothly. However, what I did not realise is that by removing the screws holding the censor would change its position and mess up the focus.

So now when I take my exposures, the stars are almost in focus but not quite and they look round. I've taken it apart 3 times now to change the position of the screws to see if it focus better but no luck.

I have a Samyang F2 135mm Lens to counteract the Chromatic Aberation. I also have a CLS light pollution filter that fits inside the lens connector. When I set the focus to infinity it just doesn't quite reach it.

I've heard that you can buy clear glass to replace the IR filter but is that really necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

You could start again with the Torx screws tightened all the way in, which pushes the sensor fully forwards towards where infinity focus will now be.

Now see if you have infinity focus somewhere on the sensor.

If other corners then come into focus with the lens slightly back from the infinity setting then you're in luck, you can back off the relevant corner screws say an eighth of a turn at a time.

I'm surprised the mod instructions didn't mention that infinity focus would be off, and offer ways to overcome that ?

Michael