Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More secure dovetail mounting for William Optics zenithstar 71

The William Optics zenithstar 71 comes with an integral dovetail base mount or shoe that is quite short. I am pairing it with an HEQ5 that has an ADM dual saddle. The base shoe only grips part of the dual saddle and this is making me nervous. On one occasion the scope slipped but I was able to catch it,. I have read about users of the ZS who have managed to mount it upside down but have no idea how they managed to attach a longer dovetail. Possibly there are tube rings that fit this scope that would do the job but so far I have not identified which ones.

If anyone out there uses this scope and can advise on the right accessories, advice will be much appreciated.

I have a Z61 but think it is broadly the same.

You can add a matched WO bar, this has holes for the small shoe (foot) supplied to line up with.

Makes it much easier to use and find balance

the longer bar also lets you fit an anti slide out stop to the top end

(just a longer bolt with a lock nut and spacer, this hits the jaws and prevents it sliding further down))

William Optics DSD 245 Plate | First Light Optics

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

z61 upgraded bar.jpg

Edited by fifeskies

Just to note ,

the bar does not include the socket head screws you will need to fit the tapped holes on the base of the foot.

I got mine from eBay , I think they are  1/4 UNC stainless steel , length I needed was 5/8th (i.e. depth of thread)

But check what thread is in your Z71 foot , it may not be the same.

It is useful to get a few different sizes of socket head screws , I have a selection 1/2 inch,  5/8th , 3/4 , and 1 inch to suit different purposes.

so there is (almost) always one available in the parts box when needed.

1/4 UNC is the standard size for most William Optics needs.

Other brands tend to use metric 6mm versions, I also have a selection in that format for my other scopes.

I used a 1 inch long socket screw and lock nut to make the anti slide out safety stop, though you can use anything you have to fit this as it is not a threaded hole.

• Thanks 1