NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Callisto, Jupiter, and Europa on 211013 at 0034Z

lainev

. Average seeing and transparency. 90-second capture. 2,000 of ~8,000 frames stacked. Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25, Celestron 2x Barlow, ZWO ADC, ZWO ASI385 camera, ZWO UV/IR Cut Filter, CPWI for telescope control, and SharpCap for image capture. Image processed in AutoStakkert, RegiStax, and Photoshop. I use Celestron StarSense for initial alignment (really works well for me) and the Celestron Electronic Focus Motor (eliminates scope shake when focusing.) All of this is attached to an old Dell laptop. The laptop also allows me to run the scope over WiFi from the my home office.

1679377372_2110130034ZCallistoJupiterEuropa2.jpg.a1fb07be96dc53376decfedd6a05c6a9.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lainev said:

I do have a 1.5 deg latitude advantage and a 600' elevation advantage over you.

I mean, that and you probably also don't have the concrete of one of the most densely populated and largest cities emanating heat into your night sky :D

That was the biggest surprise to me, I knew light pollution would be crap but I thought being only a mile or so from the shore would free up my southern sky seeing but, nope! Turns out a mile of concrete is all you need for constant wavies every single dang night no matter what. A local guy said I might get one good night a year, I guess that would have to be like a 70 degree day giving up to a 70 degree night with low humidity (but NY is high humidity in fall/spring, over 80%)

I complain (a lot) but really it just make home planet/lunar viewing time and I plan to travel with my new (used) 12" dob as there's a Bortle 2 site in PA that's extremely well known that's only 6 hours away. I'm equally as shocked at how well Jupiter looks in my conditions as I am at the unexpected heat pollution.

• Like 1