Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did I do ok? Rate my Covid buy! (Celestron Nexstar 8, picking up today)

I don't have to tell anyone how hard it is to find stuff at good prices. I got this for $500 and am taking a road trip and picking it up today. I feel like I got a super super steal because the tube is the tube and I can build on it over time. I'm a pretty darn ignorant newb coming from a 100mm Dob though and could use confirmation :D

So how did I really do? Was this a good pickup? No reason to reconsider before I pick it up, right?

No photo description available.

Edited by HiveIndustries

Assuming that all is in working order and the optics are in good condition that is a real bargain for $500 plus some gas.

Assuming that it is the 8 inch, even the optical tube alone is well worth that.

It looks like the Nexstar 8i model with an upgraded tripod.

Lots of information on these here:

https://www.nexstarsite.com/

• 2 months later...

Hi

You may have already figured this out in the past two months. but. . . 🙂

If it is an "original" Nexstar 8  from about 2001-2002, then the OTA is connected to the mount with a proprietary connection.  It does not use a typical dovetail. 

If you want to use the OTA on another mount then you must remove the OTA from the mount and add a dovetail. 

I know,. I just did this.  There are a couple of folks on CN who did this and I followed their lead. 

I mention this since an old -perhaps 20y old Celestron Nexstar mount may not be much in terms of reliability -I know I am moving mine over to another EQ mount. 

If this is your case, then perhaps this will help. 

Mark

Convert 2002 Nexstar to dovetail mounting.jpg

Edited by markbc01