NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A telescope or a camera???

Hi all,

I don't know how to start and explain my topic here as i feel like i fail to make it clear so people can help me if they can, so i will try my best anyway.

I have some scopes and some cameras i want to use for DSO imaging, but i am expanding and i planned that i like to go with multiple imaging setup, that will help me later i believe, but it is always about to choose the correct and right tools for that, and i like to have people opinions or suggestions or recommendations before i decide on anything, i might learn something from someone that can help me and not do a mistake, so i hope i can find that here.

I have the following scopes first:

• 8" F/5 Newt, 6" F/4 Newt, 180mm Mak, TS Optics 90mm triplet, Askar FRA400, and ST80 if i can consider it as a scope for imaging [not anymore].

Following cameras for DSO only:

• APS-C color [IMX571 sensor based], QHY294M Pro, QHY163M and ZWO ASI1600MM-C Pro.

Now i have a budget and will have more again later so i want to finish my setup of multiple as soon/fast as possible then i don't look back and get busy in imaging, so i am trying to have few combos that can match mostly for FOV, and my mind now settled only for WIDE field FOV to make, and i have one combo nice and i am trying to make same FOV with another combo but don't know how or with what, this combo i use as a standard is my Askar FRA400 + 0.7x reducer from them + QHY294M, and i am trying to find a scope to give me FOV using my APS-C camera, from that FOV site it shows that i need something in 330-350mm range, most likely it is of 70mm F/6 + 0.8x reducer, or even 70mm F/5 which is a qudruplet, so i have many options about going with 330-350 scope for my APS-C, there is also 0.65x reducer for my 90mm triplet, but i feel like i want to try something else.

My options are:

1. Buying IMX571 mono, but then with what scope? if 90mm triplet then what i can do with QHY294M and Askar, i want to have different filters in each scope.
  2. Buying a 70mm scope making sure it is a triplet so i can use it with my color camera APS-C without much CA issues.
  3. Selling my ASI1600MM-C although it is new since last year and go with ASI294MM-C Pro so i can still use my high quality 1.25" filters [can't replace them].
  4. If selling that ASI1600mm then i should sell my old first cooled camera QHY163M also and upgrade again to QHY294M and buy Askar FRA400 again.
  5. Buying 2 60mm or 70mm doublet scopes to use with my ASI1600mm and QHY163M only and using narrowbanding filters only and not worry about Askar FRA400 or 90 triplet or QHY294M and APS-C cameras, use them for something else not wide field results.
  6. A full frame camera will match my 90mm triplet with flattener only, but many didn't recommend a full frame sensor, because of scope design, i was thinking about a color full frame so i don't need to use many filters, only one or two 2" which i have 1 already and can add another, not narrowbanding or LRGB filters.
  7. Buy much much wider scopes such as 200 or 135 or 230mm FL so i can use with any two or three cameras then crop them all after final stack to my liking frames of FOV, and later i might add better details from longer FL scopes to that frame to make it better, i don't like to do mosaic at all.
  8. Trying to use my DSLR lenses if possible, i also just hate to stop them down with weird spikes, i can use step down rings but only with threaded lenses, my Canon 300mm F2.8 IS lens doesn't have any front threaded mount size, very big similar to 100-120mm aperture scopes maybe, or if i have to keep them wide open such as F1.8 or F2 or F2.8 and use one of those high speed NB filters designed for that, because of light shift, but is that light shift only affected for narrowbanding and not LRGB/OSC?

I want to decide quickly before my budget is gone somewhere else out of my astro plan, and then wait again for another budget and still no decision, i am waiting nicer weather to come and winter, some of winter targets are out already but very late time, so in two months they will be out at good time, so i want to be ready this time, i only got my 90mm triplet and Askar both APO refr this year, but i was busy and it was so hot and humidity, so i stopped to continue my buying plan, one more combo and i will be ready, i have to be careful of what i choose so i don't regret later and trying to sell it or buy something else, i believe i will be happy with my 90mm triplet and Askar FRA400 for very long time without replacing them, also my cameras, it is just that time i bought QHY163M not many options around and i couldn't afford, only since last year i started to afford more because i saved money since 2018-2019 and i got more income sources by end of 2019 which helped me in 2020, many will say stop buying and focus on what i have, that isn't part of my plan, i was using one setup for 2-3 years and it was a waste of time and nightmare to just depend on one setup and keep that forever, not idea i want to do, we have many clear nights, but i don't have too much time to keep burning it several nights for one target to perfect and complete, so i found out if i have like 2 scopes/cameras combo at least then i can do that in less time and i keep going longer, since last 2 years i never bothered myself to complete any target next nights, only doing Ha or RGB in one night and stop there, i did with 2 or three targets for like 2-3 nights and i wasn't happy, so telling me about don't buy more use what you have is not the answer.

Sorry for this long topic, but i have to come to the a decision or answer so i can buy and then it will slow me down in my choices in future, thank you very much

Interesting challenge you have, I am not into AP other than simple one shot lucky pictures so can't help in any way there, but looking at your comment about 2 -3 nights per target and not completing, I did notice that one person on here had two identical telescopes with two identical cameras, filters etc set up as a combo with the idea being that it reduced the data gathering time. So have you considered that amongst your existing kit, you already have the required stuff but by doubling up it could reduce your data time? 

Also have you considered eeva? Very short time required for each target. 

Look forward to seeing other replies. All the best.

4 hours ago, M40 said:

Interesting challenge you have, I am not into AP other than simple one shot lucky pictures so can't help in any way there, but looking at your comment about 2 -3 nights per target and not completing, I did notice that one person on here had two identical telescopes with two identical cameras, filters etc set up as a combo with the idea being that it reduced the data gathering time. So have you considered that amongst your existing kit, you already have the required stuff but by doubling up it could reduce your data time? 

Also have you considered eeva? Very short time required for each target. 

Look forward to seeing other replies. All the best.

I am trying to have that identical combo or setup to reduce the data gathering time for sure, i have one and i am thinking about another, but not sure how should i do it anyway as i can keep smaller sensor for 280mm or i use APS-C with 280mm and then i find a scope much wider for smaller sensor 4/3".

What is eeva?

1 hour ago, M40 said:

Have a look here...

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/208-eeva-electronically-enhanced-visual-astronomy/

EEVA is a different skill again but it's certainly the direction I am looking to take. Give it a go, you never know, you may get hooked :D

Funny it says visual and used for imaging.

Well, i think i will go with more gear option over EEVA.