NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASICAP Planetary Settings

My Asi 224 MC arrived today, but it's been so long since I did any planetary imaging I can't remember if I should use RAW 8 or Raw 16, I seem to recal one or other causes difficulties when trying to process the images later, something to do with TIFF format?

I want to try and use it tonight on Saturn using my Explorer 150p, so if anybody could give me some basic settings it would be great! 

Thanks!

RAW8 is is the one to use, that will produce an 8 bit capture which will appear monochrome on screen and when played back. but actually contains colour info once de-bayered (which is what Autostakkert 3 will automatically do - if you use that).

I'm not familiar with ASICAP but I'd start off with using a high gain (say 3/4 max) and a short exposure ideally around 5ms but certainly below 10ms if you can.  The image on the screen will appear quite dim but that's ok, you can brighten it later. Pump up the gain even more if you need to - short exposures are vital.  Don't fall into the trap of trying to get the preview image on screen to look 'nice'.  If the settings are good it will look very dim and very noisy but don't worry about that. 

I find it helps to find focus by using the debayered preview and with a lower gain and more exposure for a birghter, cleaner and colour preview image, and before capture I will set those settings back after focussing and before hitting the capture button.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1