NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help! Please help identify source of circular gradient in NGC 6960, Veil Nebula?

oymd

Hi Everyone

Yesterday I imaged NGC 6960, and during processing I noticed a very obvious CIRCULAR gradient on my image?

I have attached a picture. I intentionally OVERDID the RGBK in Curves to highlight it more?

Is this from bad flats?

Is it from the filter?

Imaging setup yesterday:

WO Star71

294MC Pro

L-eNhance filter

65x300s

FULL MOON

These flats were taken 2 days ago, and did not produce any similar gradient on any of my Soul or Heart nebula images? Mount & OTA have not been moved or touched for the past 2 days, so did not take flats yesterday night?

The image on screen is after: DBE, background neutralisation, PCC, EZ DENOISE, HISTOGRAM STRETCH AND FINALLY STARNET.

761423161_VeilGradient2.thumb.png.af3f9047bb4acd212018df4cad641f38.png

1808115509_VeilGradient.png.a04fa0344fd503c4110aeb1dead81aea.png

I went back to the raw stacked calibrated Master Light unprocessed image, and just did a Background Neutralisation to remove the green cast, followed by a Histogram Stretch and RGBK curves. Did not do ANY postprocessing.

The circular halo/gradient is there, I think, but much less obvious?

1951038659_VeilGradientrawS.png.81c3a6614d45e136d5db2e6c4e312d29.png

Is it my processing?

Many thanks

Edited by oymd

Condensation on your sensor.

Happened to me this morning after a pretty dew wet night and took some flats and shat myself when I had a big black spot in the centre of a flat. 

I switched off cooling, switched it on again and it cleared itself up

• Like 2

• oymd changed the title to Help! Please help identify source of circular gradient in NGC 6960, Veil Nebula?
1 hour ago, Catanonia said:

Happened to me this morning after a pretty dew wet night and took some flats and shat myself when I had a big black spot in the centre of a flat. 

Oh...never thought of that...

How can I avoid it happening in the future? Should I use a dew heater band on the camera and attached filter drawer?

16 hours ago, oymd said:

Oh...never thought of that...

How can I avoid it happening in the future? Should I use a dew heater band on the camera and attached filter drawer?

Not sure, my 2600 MC Pro has a anti dew function, don't know about your camera.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoldTop57 said:

Were you running the cooler when taking your flats? You could cool in stages so go to 0 degrees leave for 5 minutes and then down to -10 etc.

Yes, same temp as the lights. All were at -5C

On 22/09/2021 at 23:23, Catanonia said:

Thank you for your suggestion.

I wrapped the camera and filter drawer with one of my extra dew heater bands over the past 2 nights, and the circular gradient is gone. I was imaging IC 1848 over the past 2 nights. No circular gradient!

On Cloudy Nights, the responses I got were very much suggestive its the Moon reflecting on my WO Star 71's objective, but I was imaging the last 2 nights with the full moon out in the same conditions, and using the dew heater bands eliminated the gradient.

So it must be condensation then!

Thanks again..

:)

IC1848 (SH2-199) - Soul Nebula 2.png

masterFlat_BIN-1_FILTER-NoFilter_CFA.xisf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oymd said:

Thank you for your suggestion.

I wrapped the camera and filter drawer with one of my extra dew heater bands over the past 2 nights, and the circular gradient is gone. I was imaging IC 1848 over the past 2 nights. No circular gradient!

On Cloudy Nights, the responses I got were very much suggestive its the Moon reflecting on my WO Star 71's objective, but I was imaging the last 2 nights with the full moon out in the same conditions, and using the dew heater bands eliminated the gradient.

So it must be condensation then!

Thanks again..

:)

masterFlat_BIN-1_FILTER-NoFilter_CFA.xisf 133.87 MB · 0 downloads

Excellent and glad it worked out.

• Like 1