NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help w/new barlow - help w/focus

So, I'm not sure how to connect & obtain focus. Unfortunately, I did not find much online. 

My equipment: 

8" dob

17.5 Morpheus and 2" 2x Astromania Barlow (pic1)

W/ 2" colar (pic2)

Direct into focuser (pic3)

Any point in the right direction would be appreciated. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by iPonchco
Misspelling

• iPonchco changed the title to Help w/new barlow - help w/focus

The second picture is the most correct set up, but why have you not pushed the barlow into the adaptor all the way to the shoulder? If the barlow won't push in any further then the focuser may not have enough in focus to accommodate the barlow being pulled out. In that case you would have to try the third picture and extending the focuser all the way out to see if you can focus, possibly pulling the barlow out a bit too. 

Also, you will probably find that the barlow will be operating at less than 2x in that configuration as the field lens of the Morpheus is in the 1.25" barrel and will be closer to the barlow lenses than designed. 

Update:

I was able to obtain focus, but it would not be user friendly. Also, color gets funky around the edge and edge of moon.  

Regrettably, I'm returning. 

I would like to get a really good barlow; any recommendations on a 2"?  I like the idea of have the lens removable to change the magnification.

Thanks

iPonchco

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Thought I'd post an update, good news and maybe a pic that can help another (beginner).

I retuned the other two barlows and purchased the 2" Celestron 2.5X Luminos barlow. 

You can tell in the pic that the 17.5 Morpheus doesn't seat all the way down, but I obtained focus easily. 

The image was clear and no color distortions.  No moon out to test it, so I focused on Jupiter (good color) and the rings of Saturn.

It was so much easier to balance (only used 1 pound weight added with a velcro strap).

Thanks for others that contributed and hope this is a good share.

iPonchco

For reference-

returned:

Zhumell 2" 2x ED

Astromania 2" ED 2X

My EQ:

8" Skywatcher Flex 200-P

20210930_085023.jpg