NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount/bracket advice please

Dazzyt66

Hi guys,

Having started to get some decent images with my camera and lens setup I want to look at making a more robust rig to attach to my HEQ5. At the moment I use a small 4” dovetail fixed to the camera using the 1/4 unc but this can often come loose as the mount moves around. What is my best option for:

Mounting 1100d

200mm Lens (no additional support atm)

Planned RPI stepper focuser for Indi

I may also add a small guide scope at some point.

Any help appreciated before I start buying mount parts that can soon add up to a tidy sum in their own right!

Cheers

Daz

That's a tricky one because the 1/4 inch bolt is the norm for attaching the camera and should work. Perhaps the dovetail doesn't have a flat surface where the camera sits on it?  Could you add a friction washer between camera and dovetail? Or add some improvised brackets to stop the camera rotating?

Olly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

That's a tricky one because the 1/4 inch bolt is the norm for attaching the camera and should work. Perhaps the dovetail doesn't have a flat surface where the camera sits on it?  Could you add a friction washer between camera and dovetail? Or add some improvised brackets to stop the camera rotating?

Olly

Thanks Olly - yeah, the dovetail I use atm isn't flat - so I guess thats where to start, although I can improvise a spacer to make it flat against the camera.

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

The most used option for a DSLR plus lens is a decent ball head mounted on a dovetail with a 3/8 inch screw, there are DSLR friendly dovetails around too that have a flat surface like this

Alan

Thanks Alan - this is the kind of thing I was looking at but didn't want to buy until I'd worked out all options.

Thanks guys for the quick response.

Daz

• Like 1