NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting PC to EQM35 PRO Mount

woldsweather

I had this working in the house and now I have set it up outside I can't connect using SharpCap 4.0 . Device Manager and EQASCOM toolbox both show COM 4. They did both show COM5 until a few minutes ago when I uninstalled COM4 on Device Manager and it came back with COM4 so I changed that in EQASCOM toolbox but still get timeout error. I'm lost as to what to try now.

With everything connected and powered up, go into device manager, navigate to the PORTs section and right click on the first port shown.  Select the option to remove the entry but keep the driver.  Repeat for any other ports.

Then from the menu choose the option to scan for hardware changes, it should pick up any serial adapters / EQDIR cables etc and re-allocate the port numbers.  It may re-allocate the same numbers as before.  If the connection to the scope is the only port, then select this port and right click and select properties.  Under port settings ensure the baud rate is set to 9600.  If its anything else then change it and save / OK to exit.

Open up Toolbox and select driver setup.  Ensure the same port number is selected and the baud rate is also 9600.  Ok to close and then with EQASCOM selected, click the test connection button to launch EQMOD.  It should connect and allow you to move the mount.  You can then close that down and close Toolbox application.  I've not connected to a mount via sharpcap, but if it follows normal ASCOM protocol it should bring up a chooser box for mount and camera.  Select the mount as set up in the toolbox driver and you should be good to go

comms.thumb.png.b8360f09fdb30a655065122f0f51f1e1.png

You should see properties as an option.  Click that.  This brings up a new properties window > click the Port Settings tab > then the baud rate (bits per second)  value is displayed.  If this is set to anything other than 9600 then change it by clicking the field and select 9600 form the list.

Success! Up and running on old laptop now to do the same on the laptop I will most likely be using (my wifes). They both had same COM but both set at 115200 because it was recommended on a video I watched. Haven't managed to get Stellarium controlling the mount as yet which it has been at certain points in the past.

Edited by woldsweather