Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky sites in Oxfordshire?

StuartT

I have recently acquired a car (not having had one for years) from a member of the family, so it is now possible for me to do some observing (and AP) from somewhere other than my (deeply suboptimal) back garden.

So my question is, where would you recommend that's within about a 40 min drive from Oxford?

It seems to me that I am looking for two things; a) lower Bortularity than I currently have (approx 6); and b) a site where I won't get trampled by wild animals, accosted by unsavoury characters or chased away by shotgun wielding farmers.

Thanks  

56 minutes ago, StuartT said:

I have recently acquired a car (not having had one for years) from a member of the family, so it is now possible for me to do some observing (and AP) from somewhere other than my (deeply suboptimal) back garden.

So my question is, where would you recommend that's within about a 40 min drive from Oxford?

It seems to me that I am looking for two things; a) lower Bortularity than I currently have (approx 6); and b) a site where I won't get trampled by wild animals, accosted by unsavoury characters or chased away by shotgun wielding farmers.

Thanks  

My first thought here is maybe try brill? Don't know if you've ever been (and I've only been there in the daytime when I used to live in the general area), but it's basically a hill with an old windmill on top of it.

There's a small car park nearby, and there are some houses not too far away as well, so there should be some (hopefully) 'savoury' people within shouting distance just in case.

It's a bortle 4 sky according to the light pollution map (which is basically as good as it seems to get in Oxfordshire), the only thing I'm not sure about is how severely (if at all) the windmill is lit up at night. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

My first thought here is maybe try brill? Don't know if you've ever been (and I've only been there in the daytime when I used to live in the general area), but it's basically a hill with an old windmill on top of it.

There's a small car park nearby, and there are some houses not too far away as well, so there should be some (hopefully) 'savoury' people within shouting distance just in case.

It's a bortle 4 sky according to the light pollution map (which is basically as good as it seems to get in Oxfordshire), the only thing I'm not sure about is how severely (if at all) the windmill is lit up at night. 

Thanks for this. I know where it is, but I've not been. I'll take a look

Excellent. Thanks all.

14 hours ago, Orange Smartie said:

How big is the kit you're going to be using? Can you walk any distance with it?

Pete

Not really.. An Esprit 150ED and a EQ6R Pro. That's a lot of kilos for an old fella. So I'd pretty much need to be near the car

Edited by StuartT

Agree with chiltonstar that you might want to check out the ridgeway. 

This spot just outside Woodstock is dark...

The views NE, to South are good, some tall trees looking west. No guarantee about nocturnal comings and goings although I've walked around here at dusk with a bat detector and not had any hassle.

Photo is southerly view. There is a small layby here where people park to walk dogs. Maybe worth a daytime reccy?

20210905_153213.thumb.jpg.c19d7baeea0d8008b32a1841ccf3dca5.jpg

526198344_Screenshot_20210905-153205_OSMaps.thumb.jpg.0bc874dfb424173a5e3046a9c9fbda75.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2021 at 15:38, Orange Smartie said:

Agree with chiltonstar that you might want to check out the ridgeway. 

This spot just outside Woodstock is dark...

The views NE, to South are good, some tall trees looking west. No guarantee about nocturnal comings and goings although I've walked around here at dusk with a bat detector and not had any hassle.

Photo is southerly view. There is a small layby here where people park to walk dogs. Maybe worth a daytime reccy?

20210905_153213.thumb.jpg.c19d7baeea0d8008b32a1841ccf3dca5.jpg

526198344_Screenshot_20210905-153205_OSMaps.thumb.jpg.0bc874dfb424173a5e3046a9c9fbda75.jpg

that looks spot on! Thanks. I'll pop out there at the weekend. 

(I already treated myself to a Jackery Explorer because I reckoned I'd been a good boy)

Edited by StuartT