Attach Samyang lens to ASI120mc

Adam1234

10 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

I'm thinking of using my ASI120mc camera with my Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens - what adapter would I need to use? 

Also, how would I attach to the mount?

HI Adam - if it's a Canon EOS EF fit lens, something like this from ZWO for the camera?  It lists the "ASI-120" with 12.5mm backfocus (what I think your camera has with the black lens bit removed - revealing M42 threads?)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-adjustable-eos-lens-to-t2-adapter-for-all-asi-cameras.html

A few other vendors make similar items.

From the mount - given the camera is small and light, it might be easier getting a collar for the lens that can attach to a dovetail (or that has a foot already).  ZWO have holder rings but only for cameras with with wider diameters.  If you check out the "Imaging with the Samyang 135" thread, there are a lot of similar solutions there where the collars used might fit your lens - it will at least show you a lot of ways a lens is used!

You may also need some small spacer rings to allow best performance (depending on the lens and if a filter is used e.g. UVIR cut) but the above is a good start. 

Hope this helps get you started.

Edited by geeklee
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate! Yeah it's the EOS EF fit so that looks perfect. 

I'll check out that thread to see what other people have done for mounting. Out of interest do you know the physical size difference between the 135mm and 14mm?

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

Out of interest do you know the physical size difference between the 135mm and 14mm?

Sorry, I don't but they look very similar.  If you measure the diameter of the collar location with calipers, you should be able to check which collars will fit.  There are a few mentioned in the 135 thread like the RedCat collar or cheaper alternatives from Amazon.  All list their sizes so you'd know if it will fit and whether a little felt or foam padding might be needed.

• Thanks 1