Imaging with Public/Remote telescopes

Macavity

Imaging with Public/Remote telescopes? Do I sense a controversy? 😛
But seriously: Anyone admit to having/wanting a go with such things?

But I could see good use for such things. One might hone one's image
processing skills... Image fainter (less-popular) objects... with a MUCH
larger telescope than I (mere mortals) could ever dream of owning.

I (many others) gave up on the "back garden LHC" project after all! 😉

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 2

No controversy for me, do what ever you enjoy doing 🙂

I would much rather freeze my nether regions off under the stars, than have data captured fom eleswhere in the world. Although with Saturn being so low still the scope at the moment,  the 1-m telescope (CHI-3) Chiles-cope would be a better option. 🙂

There is still plenty of skill involved in remote imaging though and they are able to be used in the Astrophotgrapher of the year competition?

So definitely give it a go, looking forward to seeing your results. Definitely will not hurt to have some data to practice on.

• Like 1

I have some vague memories of using the John Moores scope i think, i am sure i captured some data on the Orion Nebula years ago. No idea what i did with it though, or what made me try it? It was probably a thread like this on here when i first joined i guess.

• Like 1

It has been the worst astronomy year i can personally remember, since "getting back into it" in 2009. So many cloudy nights or reasons to miss clear nights. I was aware just how bad the skies are aound Biggleswade, Bortle 5, more like Bortle 7 i would say. Remote imaging would certainly be an an actrive alternative to these skies. Recent trip to Weybourne in Norfolk put the skies into perspective, very poor!