Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The way forward....

Bigwings

My sig line tels what I have now guys but this imaging thing is a bit seductive.

I will build an Observatory this spring and I want to migrate slowly to do more imaging. The question is how do I migrate with the kit I have or is my SE8 just not up to the job.

I guess it will go

Mount OTA on equatorial

Fit focal reducer

purchase cannon 350

What other bits do I need.

If I can do good stuff with the SE8 on the altaz GOTO can I set up a guide scope on this mount?

Thanks for the advice

Clear Skies

Mike

You really need to think Pier and wedge... to get the scope mounted equatorialy other wise your going to have field rotation problems if you stay alt az...

Not one hundred pecent on the 8SE I have its brotehr the CPC800XLT which has a guideport on it will download the manual for the 8SE and have a look...

Billy...

It depends entirely what you want to image, if its just planets, globs and small DSO then you might be OK with the 8SE, unfortunately the tracking on these mounts unguided is fairly poor (as far as imaging goes), as the mount has a habit of wandering backwards and forwards across your intended target, so you're going to need to autoguide if you want to do anything greater than solar/lunar/planetary imaging.

I would probably look at getting a new mount as the 8SE is right on its weight limit and has minimal clutch adjustment options (Unless you feel like partially dismantling the mount....), adding an extra scope, 350d + mounting bar + weights for balance is probably going to tip it over the edge.

I know the pain Reggie went through with the 6SE .. which is a smaller OTA on the same mount...

Technically yes it can be done.... you can mount the scope on a wedge and there is an ST compatible guide-port on the mount ... but there are some issues with the mount and its ability to take much more weight...

The OTA could be moved to another mount though and the SE mount used as a grab and Alt/AZ setup...

Billy...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived