NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn for the first time through C6-S

merlinxlm

I set up my Kit last knight, wandering about the sky, through the clouds and then I so Leo. Then I had a look towards the lower back end, then I saw it for the first time through my scope, it was a lovely sight, could clearly make out the rings with a 20mm, then a 9mm. I did try a barlow with the 9mm, but couldn't get full focus, so I stuck with the 9mm. I then attached my 840K webcam to take my first picture, but I couldn't

focus properly, so I concentrated on Sirius as a test object (first time to use a webcam). I figured out how to use it, and the settings, I then swung the scope around, as Saturn was coming in to the view on my laptop screen, just entering the guiding rings in K3CCD, the batteries went flat. I was gutted, but there will always be a next time. I was still very happy as I had never seen it before through a good scope.

My mount is a goto, so it tracks reasonably well but not brilliantly at very high magnifications. The target stays on the screen for a minute or so, enough for 600-1000 frames at 10 fps. I have a SC1 modded Toucam but the Saturn images were taken with an unmodded one, just with an IR cut filter added. If you haven't already got a IR cut, you should get one. I used K3ccd Tools to capture the avi's.

One thing I found early on when trying to get decent planetary images was the importance of a good barlow. What make is yours?

Its just a standard 2Xbarlow lens, no make on it. Will it make a huge difference if bought a good make? I spoke to Ralf from ScopeandSkies the other day, regarding a polar finder and DSLR adaptor. He recommended a Celestron ultima 2 X Barlow lens, I have to thank him for all the advice and information he advised me on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Great pictures of Saturn! I have a 8" Reflector - what would be the best eyepiece to view detail of the rings of saturn. My highest mag eyepiece at the moment is 13mm (mag x76) which is good enough to get a fix on Saturn and distinguish the rings, but no further detail or colour.

Cheers

Archived