NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EZ Denoise issue

Hi, I'm a complete beginner to PI but I've come across an issue when trying to run the EZ Denoise script. After selecting my image for noise reduction the option to run it is greyed out? I'm using the trial version of PI so i'm wondering if this is the problem although i've added Starnet++ which runs fine.

Screenshot (30).png

AFAIK, the denoise script needs to be run on linear data, but you’re trying to run it on non-linear data after Starnet++.  

So, I think, you need to run it before stretching and making it starless. 

Tony

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AKB said:

AFAIK, the denoise script needs to be run on linear data, but you’re trying to run it on non-linear data after Starnet++.  

Tony

Thanks for the reply. I've tried with a linear image & its stays greyed out. I'll just have to go through the whole TGV Denoise faff. PI is great but so frustrating.

Steve

Edited by nephilim

18 minutes ago, AKB said:

Have you ticked the Run TGCDenoise box under the TGV Settings tab?

Thankyou so much Tony.

Atm i'm learning PI with YouTube tutorials & that step wasnt mentioned. Everything is now active.

The main issues I'm coming across with PI are that what seems to be an unsolvable problem, ends up been a simple tick box or window de activated etc, but i'm enjoying using it.....Most of the time.

Steve

11 minutes ago, nephilim said:

Thankyou so much Tony.

Atm i'm learning PI with YouTube tutorials & that step wasnt mentioned. Everything is now active.

The main issues I'm coming across with PI are that what seems to be an unsolvable problem, ends up been a simple tick box or window de activated etc, but i'm enjoying using it.....Most of the time.

Steve

It worked a treat 🙂

Screenshot (33).png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AKB said:

Tony

I have definitely run EZ Denoise on non-linear data when working narrowband. I also have used it on starless images after Starnet.

Not sure what @nephilim's problem was. As soon as I select the target image, all three of the Execute and Exit buttons become available.

Weird!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

I have definitely run EZ Denoise on non-linear data when working narrowband. I also have used it on starless images after Starnet.

Not sure what @nephilim's problem was. As soon as I select the target image, all three of the Execute and Exit buttons become available.

Weird!

I hadnt checked Run TGCDenoise box under the TGV Settings tab so every option was greyed out. Its all good now thanks.

3 hours ago, nephilim said:

Haha, that's a good summary of PI -- but it does get easier!

15 minutes ago, nephilim said:

@Lee_P I'm certainly sticking with it but christ its hard work 😂

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I've written an example PI workflow that I've found to be effective. It's specifically for processing L-eXtreme data, but there might be some handy tips in there.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nephilim said:

I hadnt checked Run TGCDenoise box under the TGV Settings tab so every option was greyed out. Its all good now thanks.

Ah yes! I had forgotten that gotcha. I made the same mistake the very first time I used EZ Denoise and was puzzled for a while. You forget these little bumps in the road once you have used a tool for a while. My apologies.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lee_P said:

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I've written an example PI workflow that I've found to be effective. It's specifically for processing L-eXtreme data, but there might be some handy tips in there.

@Lee_P  That's brilliant...it's always sooooooo handy to find a well-illustrated tutorial.

I found Luke's video a few weeks ago and have been trying it out with my new ASI294MC...it's a great method to process targets and I often find the (pseudo)SHO palette brings out a lot of detail that isn't always visible with a more 'conservative' method (especially, for example,  where illuminated ridges of gas in nebulae stand out against darker dust).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sterrenland said:

@Lee_P  That's brilliant...it's always sooooooo handy to find a well-illustrated tutorial.

I found Luke's video a few weeks ago and have been trying it out with my new ASI294MC...it's a great method to process targets and I often find the (pseudo)SHO palette brings out a lot of detail that isn't always visible with a more 'conservative' method (especially, for example,  where illuminated ridges of gas in nebulae stand out against darker dust).

Yep, I totally agree. I've found a few decent L-eXtreme processing tutorials that lead to appreciably different end results. On my to-do list is to write up an article on my website testing out these different methods so the final pictures can be seen side-by-side.

• Like 2