Magnification Level

I am looking to put my Celestron Advanced GT mount and Celestron 9.25 OTA back into use after a very long lay off. The OTA has a focal length of approx 2350 and currently I have a 25mm objective in there which will give me a magnification of approx 98x, , so, if if I put a CCD camera directly into the OTA, what sort magnification can I expect?

28 minutes ago, Alanj49 said:

I am looking to put my Celestron Advanced GT mount and Celestron 9.25 OTA back into use after a very long lay off. The OTA has a focal length of approx 2350 and currently I have a 25mm objective in there which will give me a magnification of approx 98x, , so, if if I put a CCD camera directly into the OTA, what sort magnification can I expect?

The simple answer is that there is no "magnification" just image scale or field of view. How big/small the FOV is can be determined using this tool

astronomy.tools

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alanj49 said:

The concept of magnification when imaging is tricky. If you are doing observation using an eyepiece, magnification means how much bigger the object appears compared to when viewed with the naked eye.

But when imaging, you don't really have anything to compare it with. The image size on your screen will depend on a number of factors - the telescope of course, but also the size of the camera pixels, and the size of your screen of course. 

As has been said, you can get an idea of the object size on your screen using that link above or by inputting your gear data into Stellarium or similar.

It took me a while to get to grips with this when I first started imaging if that's any consolation! 

• Like 1