NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ptolemy Cluster and nearby Objects

AusGuy

If you frequent the Sky and Telescope website you may have noticed a recent article on 14th July about the Ptolemy Cluster M7 and some nearby objects. It's a good read and I recommend it. You can find the article at https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/in-heaven-with-m7-a-portal-into-the-deep/

Since M7 is high in the evening sky at the moment I thought that it would be fun to recreate the main image included in that article. However, my current EAA viewing fov is too small to include all of the mentioned objects in one frame. So I had to wander around the sky a bit to find them all. This allowed me to make up a mosaic of 5 frames (2 x 2 + 1 central superimposed). Each frame was a SharpCap livestack of 30 x 8 seconds at 400 gain. The on-screen view of the central section is shown below.

95348177_CaptureM7.thumb.PNG.9ab43306db7346b5d1b967cbfdde7642.PNG

To find the mosaic as posted in Astrobin use the following link : https://www.astrobin.com/ide14h/ In addition to the plain mosaic image there I've added a labelled version (version B which you can select to view) because Astrobin's hover-over labels miss a couple of the objects mentioned in the article. In particular the tiny blue planetary nebula Cannon 2-1 as discovered by Annie Jump Cannon of OBAFGKM fame.

• Like 4

Hi, great idea to do that and as is always the case your post is so professional - great.

All the best

Mike (from a cloudy GB - I have not observed for weeks - longest run of cloudy nights that I can remember)