ZWO ADC With a Newtonian

Should be receiving a ZWO ADC any day. Anyone have experiance of using one with a Newtonian ? Mostly interested in the orientation with the horizon aspect. But any tips maybe useful. Thinking of setting it up in the daytime. Facing the scope in the direction i shoot Jupiter at. removing the eyepeice looking at the angle of the horizon. and marking it on the focuser. There is some tall aerials that are not too far below my imaging section. i can use as a guide on orientation too. Will this get me in the ball park ? 

There is this interesting youtube vid. Wondering on peoples opinions how accurate this method is. Many thanks for any input

Just a thought, you might want to check if you've got a righty or a lefty.... that is, if the levers should go on the right or the left when it's in the focuser. 

To check, simply hold up the ADC with the levers on the right and look through it. Whilst looking through, move the levers apart, if the image you see through the prisms moves upwards downwards then you've got a righty. If it moves downwards upwards then it's a lefty and you need to use it with the levers on the left when it's in the focuser. 

The ZWO unit I had in 2016 was a lefty and the one I have now is a righty.

Edited by CraigT82
got my up/down directions wrong

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Here is how I do it...

Cheers for that info Craig. looks to be the easiest option.  So basically i just hold something dead straight in front of the scope. (Horizontally straight) And i am good to go. One problem i have thought about is if i put the barlow in first. The ADC Will increase the barlow strength. If i put the ADC in first it may force me to rack the focuser fully inward. Intruding inside the light path. Have you encountered these problems ?

48 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Just a thought, you might want to check if you've got a righty or a lefty.... that is, if the levers should go on the right or the left when it's in the focuser. 

To check, simply hold up the ADC with the levers on the right and look through it. Whilst looking through, move the levers apart, if the image you see through the prisms moves upwards then you've got a righty. If it moves downwards then it's a lefty and you need to use it with the levers on the left when it's in the focuser. 

The ZWO unit I had in 2016 was a lefty and the one I have now is a righty.

Another great tip. Very helpful Craig much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Cheers for that info Craig. looks to be the easiest option.  So basically i just hold something dead straight in front of the scope. (Horizontally straight) And i am good to go. One problem i have thought about is if i put the barlow in first. The ADC Will increase the barlow strength. If i put the ADC in first it may force me to rack the focuser fully inward. Intruding inside the light path. Have you encountered these problems ?

You want the ADC in the barlow as they are meant to work better with shallower light cones (higher F ratios). 

The barlow will also kick out the focal point which should allow you to come to focus easily. The ADC will eat up about 37mm of focus travel (I.e. the length of the ADC body) so it may be impossible to use without the barlow in front of it. 

To prevent the barlow strength from increasing too much you can put the barlow lens cell straight onto the nose of the ADC, if your barlow has a removable cell that is. 

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

You want the ADC in the barlow as they are meant to work better with shallower light cones (higher F ratios). 

The barlow will also kick out the focal point which should allow you to come to focus easily. The ADC will eat up about 37mm of focus travel (I.e. the length of the ADC body) so it may be impossible to use without the barlow in front of it. 

To prevent the barlow strength from increasing too much you can put the barlow lens cell straight onto the nose of the ADC, if your barlow has a removable cell that is. 

Worst comes to worst the Ultima 2x will give similair to GSO 3x before the ADC. So i have solutions; Thanks for helping me get my head around it. Your a gentleman. Much appreciated.