Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AltairCapture or SharpCap

I bought a AltairGP224C camera a couple of years back but never got around to using it. I am completely new to imaging (apart from a few iPhone shots through the eyepiece).

I downloaded AltairCapture to get the correct drivers etc, also SharpCap as I got a free 1 year pro licence. So I now have 2 different image capture software programs. Is there any great advantage of one over the other? Initial looks suggest both will need a considerable investment of time to master so please do not advise me to try both to see which I prefer, as in the first instance I do not have the time and will probably get confused.

I will mostly be looking to image the moon and planets but will probably have a go at the brighter easier deep sky object like the Orion Nebula.

Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by ChrisM7
Bad English

I would start with Altaircapture, I think it's easier to get to grips with and it will make sure the camera is working. It will also live stack for fainter objects. Sharpcap is more versatile and has downloadable instructions. Such as focus measurement etc. I've not used that since 3.1 though as I've moved to Firecapture for my solar imaging. Not done planetary for a long time as I do deep sky imaging mostly.