Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Screw on dust caps?

Just wondering what others opinions are of screw on dust caps?

Up until now all my scopes have had push on dust caps but I recently got a SW72ED which has the screw on type.

The black paint has started to come away from the thread inside the dew shield revealing a shiny thread, which not only is bad for light scatter but is it depositing microscopic flakes of paint on the lens?

I've taken to removing the whole dew shield before unscrewing the dust cap and then replacing the dew shield back to front on the tube so the shiny thread is not in the light path. Do others do this? Seems like a bad design to me. Wish it had a push on dust cap!

2 hours ago, Franklin said:

Just wondering what others opinions are of screw on dust caps?

Up until now all my scopes have had push on dust caps but I recently got a SW72ED which has the screw on type.

The black paint has started to come away from the thread inside the dew shield revealing a shiny thread, which not only is bad for light scatter but is it depositing microscopic flakes of paint on the lens?

I've taken to removing the whole dew shield before unscrewing the dust cap and then replacing the dew shield back to front on the tube so the shiny thread is not in the light path. Do others do this? Seems like a bad design to me. Wish it had a push on dust cap!

Yes I have that same problem. When I remember I unscrew the dust cap with the scope pointing down. But I rarely remember to do this. Interesting what you say about removing the dew shield. I did not know you could do this. I agree it's a bit of a poor design having the dust cap being threaded. Might have to have a look for a plastic push over cap that will fit maybe.

• Like 1