NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro no red light

Jakec862

Hi all, i promise I have delved into all the previous discussions regarding a similar issues. However nothing quite like this..

When I went to use my mount I get the error code on the synscan remote. No connection to mount. Stand alone mode and nothing works. I have been into utilities and the remote reads 12v. I've also changed the cable remote and used different power sources.

So the main difference from what I've read before is that the red power led is not red. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

First thing to check is that the power supply used is able to supply 12v minimum under 2.5amp load.  Next you will need to buy, beg, or borrow a test meter (DVM) that can read DC voltage.  Un do the two M3 screws that hold the switch and power connector etc housing.  Inside is a small PCB that has the LED and a host of connectors fitted.  With the DVM set to 20v test the terminals of the 2.1mm power connector with the power connected.  Wiggle the plug to make sure its not lose.  With one lead on the 0v terminal of the power connector, probe the switch terminal, both sides with the switch operated.  If you are getting 12v after the switch then 12v is getting passed the switch and that is not the fault.

Remove the covers on the body of the mount to expose the motor board. With the mount in the home position (weights down, with weight bar vertical) stand in front of the mount so the rows of white connectors are facing you.  On the right of the board in front of two capacitors (black cylindrical things about 1.5cm tall) is connector J1 which is where the power to the main board comes in from the connector board. This connector has 5 wires connected to it.  Reading the wires form left to right, place the red test lead so it makes contact with the metal of the second wire, with the black test lead on the fifth.  With the mount powered you should read 12v (or more) on the DVM.

This would rule out the normal loose power connector / dodgy switch issues

If after proving that the motor board is being powered and you are getting the "no response both axis" message then this would suggest that the serial ports on the two PIC micro controllers are not sending back the handshake to the handset.  Basically when connected the handset has no idea what motorboard (or mount) it is connected to, and thus what gear ratios etc the mount uses.  So it sends a request to the motorboard for this information, and if it fails to receive it then it displays that "no response" message.   You could try using an EQDIR cable and EQMOD to replicate the handset, but chances are EQMOD will display a time out error as it too won't get the response back.

In the past this normally meant the purchase of a replacement motor board, but of late we've been able to convert the readily available firmware to a format and be able to program two replacement PIC microcontrollers As detailed in this thread. To date I've repaired around 7 motor boards, mainly for Dobsonian scopes, but also my own HEQ5 board as I thought I had blown them (turned out I didn't need to as it was a faulty EQDIR cable).

If after all your testing you still get the "no response both axis" message then drop me a private message if you would like the board looked at

• Like 3

So the power is fine to point in wire 2 and 5. So am I right to think that mean a new motherboard? Or what you have linked to which seems far other my pea brain. Is there a huge cost saving one way or the other? 

Thanks again 

If 12 v is getting to the motor board, then it would suggest that the board is the issue and its not a power supply problem.

How old is the mount ? - If its new and features one of the later boards with an ARM processor then this should still be within warranty and it would be worth contacting the retailer.  If the scope was purchased second hand then I don't know if the warranty is transferable or not, which could leave you with an expensive repair bill (circa £120 for a new board- if stock is available).  If the mount is of some age then chances are it uses Microchip 16F886's and the board can be repaired.  You would need to remove the board to confirm which is fitted.

This is the new revision of the HEQ5 board

spacer.png

and this is what the older revision looks like, processor side up.

spacer.png

You could do further checks but that involves removing the power connector PCB, the motor board and the steppers so you can test for the 5v supply to the processors if the board is of the older type.  You need to have the steppers connected before powering up so as not to risk damage to the driver chips.

With the motors connected to the motor board, the connector board with the switch and ports on connected to the motor board and the power applied set the DVM to 20v and check for 5v on the two pins on the 16F866's   Place the black lead to pin 8 and the red lead to pin 20

1651797541_picpower.thumb.png.0cb2e61def2b0b7ff7bb8687cd41b53c.png

If you get 5v across those pins then power is reaching the PIC and it would indeed look as if the issue is more with the communications between the handset and the PICs.  In which case then the PICs will most probably need replacing and reprogramming.  If that's the case then drop me a PM if you want to try a repair. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jakec862 said:

Wow again thank you for such a comprehensive reply! 

No worries....  Its all part of being a member of the community.  Members on SGL tend to help where possible, and are in general a nice bunch. 

I have no idea if you know how to test things with a DVM or not, so apologies if my instructions are too basic.