Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ioptron SkyGuider Pro polar scope is apparently installed inverted.

LaurenceT

Just setting up my new SkyGuider, The reticle is only illuminated when the scope is orientated so that the reticle is at the vertical position, no problem there but then the mount for the DEC bracket is upside down and the DEC bracket can't be mounted. There is a solution according to Ioptron and that is to disassemble the polar mount assembly and re-orientate it but in doing so the manufacturers warranty is voided although they kindly supply a pdf with full instructions on how to do this.

I suppose I could always polar align without installing the DEC bracket and once aligned loosen the clutch and turn the RA axis by 90 degrees to the correct orientation and then very carefully install the bracket and then mount the camera and scope. My previous tracker mount the Ioptron SkyTracker had a removable polar scope but that one also had the reticle upside down and I had to perform minor surgery on the scope to re-orientate the reticle. I'm feeling a bit miffed about this at the moment. I've messaged FLO about this, looking forward to their solution.

Hi Laurence.

This is how the mounting bracket should look. With the central tongue to the top (My Skyguider is upside down in this image). Does yours look like this?

Personally, I find it easier to polar align with out mounting the counterweight etc.

IMG_20210602_155754.thumb.jpg.c01c21841a1c8398732778230882794a.jpg

Edited by Astro Noodles

Hi Noodles,

Thanks for the reply. You're quite correct but when the central tongue is in the vertical position as in your photo then the polar scope is inverted and thus not illuminated. When I re-orientate the the polar scope by rotating the RA axis to illuminate the reticle then the tongue is inverted. As you suggest, the only solution I can see at the moment is to add the equipment after polar alignment when I can re-orientate the mounting bracket.

Edited by LaurenceT

I Think it is possible to assemble the counterweight bracket the opposite way round, with the long part of the bracket towards the bottom (see attached image). If you are thinking of upgrading to the William Optics Dec adaptor, having the reticule upside down may be an advantage.

See the source image

That's how I have assembled the counter weight bracket following Peter Zelinka's advice on his YouTube channel also Ioptron mention this.

I think that it's better this way for centre of gravity balance.

I will check out the WO DEC adapter, thanks, I already use their wedge which is a great improvement.

Edited by LaurenceT