Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StudyAstronomy.com

Hi Guys.

Any one any comments the courses offed by the above? (particulaly Cosmology)

Back in the late 70's early 80's I got grad' and post grad' degrees in Applied Physics and Maths, then joined the big wild world, discovered the new world of IT and consigned everything I'd ever learnt at Uni to the reccesses, so I'm looking to fire up the old maths synapses.

Martin,

The courses look good to me. I am in a similar boat to you in that I have a maths degree and wanted to do some Astronomy courses. I just started with the OU (http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/science/physics-and-astronomy/index.htm) on the basis that they are the "big boys" of distance learning and hopefully know what they are doing. Several people on these boards have done the same thing and probably have more experience of how good it is than I have. You can do a whole degree pretty much based on Astronomy and maths which is what I have mapped out.

You will find whoever you go with, you can skip some courses because of your previous maths/physics qualificatiions. Depends on how much of it you remember!! I decided to start near the beginning as I don't remember any of it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I did the introduction to astronomy one a couple of years ago and enjoyed it but it was heavier on the maths than I thought it would be and although I enjoyed it I would have preferred more theoretical work rather than slogging away for hours with a calculator. My background is medical but I have an A in physics at A-level (back when they were based on exams, not course work!)

Archived