Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron EQ Motor Drive - Speed Question!

I'm building an EQ platform for my Dob and using a Celestron EQ motor;
''Logic Drive - Precision DC motor For Celestron CG-2 and CG-3 equatorial mounts''.

Has anyone ever tested or looked at the max/min rotation rate v's the voltage?

These drives have a little voltage regulator on them to adjust the speed. So I can get a visual reading during observing to know what the tracking speed is;
I hooked up a multimeter and got these ranges. I'm curious are they the same from drive to drive or is there a particular voltage that equates to a tracking rate  i.e. Planetary / Lunar / Solar / Sidereal. 

Slowest speed = 1.57v  Fastest = 4.73

51291926871_7df342ef67.jpg  51292106203_1ca3d7ce8b.jpg

Hi,

I have an EQ1 and a very similar economy motor. I ditched the little 9v battery and replaced it with a bigger 12v rechargeable  plus a power converter to knock it down to 9v. The idea is that the voltage would be more consistent and I will obviously wouldn’t need to buy batteries.

I also added a small volt meter. Now this hasn’t been calibrated, so max/min probably isn’t accurate. However, after trial and error I know that when the volt meter reads 2.32v it’s sidereal. Or as close as this economy drive plus mount can get to sidereal. 

813E3D93-2C32-4DCD-B208-82FD290F53AC.jpeg

DE0EAE9B-D33E-4CB2-998F-BFE83753C3DB.jpeg

That's a great idea regarding the battery. I also like how you made the dial larger by adding the adapter. 

It's good to know that it's possible then to have a digital value for a particular speed. I really just want to be able to set it to Sidereal or Planets easily.