Multiple Observations

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! With the waning gibbous moon not due to rise for 2hrs, I took the opportunity to survey several deep sky targets using my 10 inch dob. Seeing was good, transparency was good and the sky was reasonably dark so it was game on! Here were the highlights:

NGC 6541: New target for me. Condensed and bright globular cluster in Corona Australis.

Venus: This marked my first ever look at Venus through a telescope. Since it's still quite far away from us in its orbit all I saw was a shimmering, multicolored brilliant disk. It is still also quite low on the horizon so this contributed to the view. Still I was overjoyed to finally see Venus after waiting so long since getting my telescope 9 months ago.

Rasalgethi: Alpha Hercules. Another first for me, really enjoyed looking at this double in Hercules. Orange and green colours to my eye.

NGC 4755: The Jewel Box in Crux. I never tire looking at this gem, all you northern astronomers need to see this object at least once before you pass on!

NGC 5139. Omega Centauri. I just bought a 2x Barlow Lens so I unleashed it with my 240x eyepiece on Omega to give me 480x. Wow the view was overwhelming, countless white points of light overflowing the eyepiece. Powerful 🤯

Cor Caroli: Double star in Canes Venatici. Tried for this far northern target but it was too low behind my neighbours house to view. Fail.

M8. Lagoon nebula in Sagittarius. Lovely nebula with two bright stars infused in the haze. Also the dazzling open cluster NGC 6530 is in the same low power field, producing a beautiful double visual treat.

NGC 5466: Been searching for this elusive globular for some time. Located in Bootes, I found it last night. Rather faint and loose, I loved looking at it. I have a thing for loose, faint globular clusters for some reason!

At this time the waning gibbous moon started making its presence felt. Far below it was Saturn, still really low on the eastern horizon. I couldn't resist taking a look at it for the first time this season. Majestic as usual, even while so low down. Pale golden colour, with its globe and rings shimmering in the thick lower atmosphere. Actually I found this degraded view quite satisfying and strangely beautiful. Spotted Titan and I believe Iapetus as well.

Another satisfying session, I went back inside feeling refreshed and inspired. Clear skies to you all!

Joe

• Like 11

Excellent session  and very inspiring report Joe. I am so jealous.... I have not taken my telescope out for over 2 weeks now with the clouds we have had. Keep them coming please.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Kon. Sorry to hear that, I've been having lots of cloud cover down here as well as it's our rainy season, haven't been observing as much as I would like! I will be posting more reports next clear night! Hope you get clear skies soon🤞

• Like 1