Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Parts of a basic setup

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the skywatcher EQ mounts.

Is there anywhere that I can get the following information (or can you guys provide) with regards to the mounts listed at:

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?class1=3&class2=302

• Tripod weight
  • Tripod min/max height
  • Tripod leg diameter
  • Tripod material
  • Mount weight
  • Mount max payload
  • Mount counter weights

Also, are the tripods listed and sold separately anywhere (do they have names)?

Thanks in advance for any help :(

The weight and height information is on that website if you click on the details of each mount.

The leg diameters are 1.5 inches for the EQ5 and HEQ5 tubular steel mounts and 2 inches for the EQ6 mount.

The tripod materials are either aluminum or steel for the legs and cast alloy plus some plastic for the mounts.

For the mount weights and payload recommendations I usually look on the Orion (USA) web site under mounts as many of their mounts are clones of the Skywatchers ones and they publish more comprehensive specs that Skywatcher do. Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/aarlqe

As for counterweights, well it depends on what scope the mount is carrying - ie: you can get a variety of different weights.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have sent skywatcher an email to follow up on the missing details.

I am slightly confused with the mounts max payload and how the counter weights would work with this. Does the max payload include counter weights attached? Or does the max payload just show how much weight you can put on before needing counter weights?

Cheers,

Luke

The max loading recommendations can be confusing and they should be regarded as guidelines only. My understanding is that the max payload referred to the weight of the optical tube assembly (OTA) and the counterweights are in addition to this - as much as is needed to properly balance the scope.

Another factor that comes into play is the length of the OTA eg: longer tubes need more heavy duty mounts to be stable. Also a mount / scope combination that is OK for visual observing may well not be stable enough for imaging (photography).

It's not an exact science as you can see !.

John

Does the max payload include counter weights attached? Or does the max payload just show how much weight you can put on before needing counter weights?

The max payload is almost always excluding counterweights, but with a equatorial mount weights are always needed to balance the telescope. i.e. if it says 20kg, it means 20kg of telescope PLUS the necessary 10-20kg of counterweights to reach balance

As John says, 'max weight' is a complicated thing. Good balance is obviously important, but things like the type of telescope matter too - refractors and Newtonian reflectors can be long (especially as the aperture and/or focal length increase) with the weight predominantly at both ends in the lens cell and focuser, whereas catadioptrics (e.g. a SCT or Mak) are more compact. But on the other hand the longer focal lengths of an SCT, for example, will show up vibration more easily. So there are lots of factors. In my experience it's probably as common - if not more so - to have a system that's within 'max weight' but unsatisfactory because the mount is not stable enough to mount the chosen telescope.

Archived