Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar filter help

Hi can anyone help. I'm trying to photograph the sun with foreground I'll attach an example below. I'm using a telephoto lens. I got the baader astrosolar safety film but when I looked for a YouTube tutorial on how to use it showed that the filter wouldn't allow any foreground to be photographed. It was all blacked out except for the sun. How do I photograph the sun with foreground? Do I need a filter? Thanks

Screenshot_20210609-205135_Samsung Internet.jpg

The baader solar filter is mainly for use when photographing the sun through a telescope. It cuts something like 99.99% of the light from burning your eyeball or destroying your camera.

Those beautiful images you attach are taken when the sun is very low to the horizon. The light has been heavily reduced by clouds and atmosphere. If your intention is to photograph tomorrow's annular eclipse a filter may not be needed, BUT as soon as the sun rises high enough , even a degree, it becomes a danger to your eyes and equipment.  Be very careful not to view the sun directly through a scope or even a camera .

As you note, the foreground using such a filter will indeed be completely dark. Can't have it both ways in a single shot using any filter.

There are ways in image processing to overlay the foreground taken without filter onto a filtered solar image.

And welcome to SGL !:hello2:

• Like 2

Hi thanks for replying. Yes I'm hoping to get the partial eclipse if possible tomorrow. I was wanting to shoot a timelapse useing a fast shutter speed of under 1 second and setting the interval to 2 seconds. The sun will start to rise here about 4 in the morning with the partial eclipse starting just after 10. Do you think this is too risky? Obviously I won't look directly at the sun I'll use live view but I'm worried about my camera getting damaged

12 minutes ago, dobblob said:

If your intention is to photograph tomorrow's annular eclipse a filter may not be needed, BUT as soon as the sun rises high enough , even a degree, it becomes a danger to your eyes and equipment.  Be very careful not to view the sun directly through a scope or even a camera .

A note of caution here ; OP does not say where in the world they are :  in the UK the partial eclipse is when the Sun is high in the sky around mid-day, not when it is low at sunrise . Not using a filter in such a situation could be disastrous.

There is no way you can record both the Sun and the landscape safely at the same time with your telephoto lens. Let enough light in to your camera to expose the landscape correctly, and the Sun will be too bright to register, and almost certainly overheat and damage your camera too , lots of plastic components to melt in all that  energy you are focussing inside it.  Filter the Sun with proper solar film to safely include the Sun, and the landscape will simply not register at all. You can do one or the other.

Please don't try any telephoto lens photos with a well above the horizon Sun in frame and no solar filter, or risk looking at the Sun directly to line your camera up. It's remarkably difficult to 'find' the Sun .