NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star adventurer 2i latitude clutch doesn't tighten

I have just received my star adventurer 2i and I've when tightening the latitude clutch up on the wedge I still have movement when turn the latitude knob and I believe this shouldn't move atall. I can't remember if I read somewhere that a work around was to fit a plastic washer in one of the spaces I've marked on my image. Thank you for any advice 

IMG_20210607_204751.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

• AstroNebulee changed the title to Star adventurer 2i latitude clutch doesn't tighten

You have read correctly about the washer; if you feel you need to do it first off undo the handle and the bolt should just slide out.  In the sides there should be two washers, one thick and one that's about the same as a bit of cling wrap.  Find a bit of single use plastic (the transparent stuff which most things are packaged in is about the right thickness), cut a new washer out and replace the thin washer with that.

As for the dec knob, it will still adjust even if the clutch is tight, but with a lot more resistance, so less slop and better precision.

• Thanks 2

Thank you Sean, very kind and informative. I may leave the washer for now and see how it goes on the first nights use. I have also read that even when the lattitude clutch lever is locked down there will be a little movement to allow precise PA. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you Sean, very kind and informative. I may leave the washer for now and see how it goes on the first nights use. I have also read that even when the lattitude clutch lever is locked down there will be a little movement to allow precise PA. 

One thing you've got to watch with the latitude knob, though and this caught me out a time or two is that it can slop if it's adjusted in to the weight on top instead of out of.  So with mine what I try and do is to push it up over ~42º (which is my latitude) to about 45 - 50º and then bring it back down so the weight is pushing against the worm gear.  And a third one, on the little adjuster itself, there's a little grub screw and sometimes that will work loose and that can make you think you're adjusting but it's just slipping on the shaft until it bites the other side of the detent (and a pain to find if it jiggles loose and drops out at night) but a drop of loctite will deal with that one.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Sean, that's very kind of you to share your tips on the star adventurer. My latitude is 50.62°so I shall turn the adjusting knob to around 55° then drop it back to 50°.I'll order some loctite for the grub screw also. Thank you again 👍