NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UV IR L Pro?

Hi all,

Hopefully a real quick one here. Am I going to see any improvements in my image quality if I shoot with a UV IR cut filter such as the Optolong L Pro from a bortle 4/5 or should I not bother? As light pollution is not too bad wondering what others think? This is on a OSC and for broadband targets. 

Thanks

Edited by Simon Pepper
Updated

Bortle 4 is quite dark so if you don't have to deal with streetlights directly or nearby skyglow, I'd only use a normal IR/UV cut clear filter. If you use a light pollution filter you will need to expose for longer. With my 6D, clip in L Pro filter and Samyang 135 at f4 I can take a 2 or 3 minute exposure without over doing it. Pointing straight up with no moon about, I can do 5 minutes. The majority of the exposure is taken up by LP which is removed later in software. If I was to use the L Pro at a dark site though I would have to expose for significantly longer to get the histogram off the left side. Not enough exposure and it's difficult to get a less noisy background. 

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Bortle 4 is quite dark so if you don't have to deal with streetlights directly or nearby skyglow, I'd only use a normal IR/UV cut clear filter. If you use a light pollution filter you will need to expose for longer. With my 6D, clip in L Pro filter and Samyang 135 at f4 I can take a 2 or 3 minute exposure without over doing it. Pointing straight up with no moon about, I can do 5 minutes. The majority of the exposure is taken up by LP which is removed later in software. If I was to use the L Pro at a dark site though I would have to expose for significantly longer to get the histogram off the left side. Not enough exposure and it's difficult to get a less noisy background. 

Hi David 

when you say normal uv ir can you provide any links to some recommendations?

thanks

11 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

Hi David 

when you say normal uv ir can you provide any links to some recommendations?

thanks

A selection of 'normal' UV/IR cut filters can be found here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uv-ir-filters.html

With OSC, you'd really only want to use one if you're finding you get bloated stars from unfocused uv/ir. Otherwise I don't think you'd see any difference to be honest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

A selection of 'normal' UV/IR cut filters can be found here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uv-ir-filters.html

With OSC, you'd really only want to use one if you're finding you get bloated stars from unfocused uv/ir. Otherwise I don't think you'd see any difference to be honest. 

There were two reason why I was considering it... Firstly using the l extreme filter I have awful halos around the brighter bigger stars and I have been googling ways to fix in post. One user over on CN says they use a UV IR cut to expose a few minute long subs so they have a luminance picture of essentially just the stars then using pixel math in PI and a few other tweaks merge them together. Secondly for broadband targets as mentioned to provide more contrast, but was unsure if that was worth it being in bortle 4.  Thanks 

10 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Most pictures I've seen with the L-Extreme show halos on bright stars. What camera will you be using? 

Redcat asi294 mc pro. I am thinking of trying this uv ir filter trick but obviously don’t want to spend money on something that may not work. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and try it...