Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Choice of scope for visual sessions

Anybody who knows me via SGL  will know I am an imaging nut, but dare I say it when it all runs smoothly I can get a bit bored of staring at multiple laptop screens for hours on end and hence can't see a darn thing when I go outside and look up.

I enjoyed a great visual session a few years back albeit from a Bortle 3 location with a 20" Dob, so I am looking for a light weight easy to set up Dobsonian to keep in my warm room shed and use when the imaging rig is running smoothly (I know, it won't get much use then). With my budget I have narrowed it down to an  Explore Scientific UL 12" Dob, or possibly a used 14" truss tube if the right one comes up. My home location is Bortle 5 so I think a 12" is the sweet spot between aperture and ease of use, but I could still put it in the car for travel to a darker location. 

I know the early version of the ES scope had issues but they seemed to have been addressed with the Gen 2, does this look like a sensible way to go? I don't want a Goto scope, I want a change from all of that which comes with the imaging rig.

Thanks

Steve