Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Encoder for DSC

dark star

I have bought a Nexus DSC and encoder kit from 365 astronomy. I bought the encoder kit for skywatcher dobsonians as I thought I could adapt this for use on my home made dobsonain. The azimuth encoder fits on the groundboard fine. However, the design of the altitude encoder has changed and now has a magnetic strip. I can see no way of fitting this to my dob. I have a full size altitude bearing-a half circle.

The simplest solution seems to be just to buy another encoder and fit it mysefl, I can make brackets etc.  I appear to need  '10000 steps quadrature  encoders ttl'-I presume an optical encoder? I would like to buy from the UK to avoid probable long delivery times from Australia. Can anyone advise me where to buy an encoder in the UK, preferably on that I can just plug the cabe for the nexus DSC in to? I have tried using google but so much information comes up that it is very confusing!

I am hoping that someone has bought such an encoder and can let me know the best place in the UK to get one.

I'm in the US so I can't help with UK vendors, but I believe you'll need a wire harness with an RJ-11 jack that connects to the encoder and then the coiled cord from the Nexus plugs into the R J11 jack.  At least that's the set-up with my Nexus II wireless.

I'd like to put encoders on my SkyWatcher AZ5, but there's no kit available so I'll have to do something like you're doing (if possible).

Edited by jjohnson3803

On 25/05/2021 at 08:33, dark star said:

I have bought a Nexus DSC and encoder kit from 365 astronomy. I bought the encoder kit for skywatcher dobsonians as I thought I could adapt this for use on my home made dobsonain. The azimuth encoder fits on the groundboard fine. However, the design of the altitude encoder has changed and now has a magnetic strip. I can see no way of fitting this to my dob. I have a full size altitude bearing-a half circle.

The simplest solution seems to be just to buy another encoder and fit it mysefl, I can make brackets etc.  I appear to need  '10000 steps quadrature  encoders ttl'-I presume an optical encoder? I would like to buy from the UK to avoid probable long delivery times from Australia. Can anyone advise me where to buy an encoder in the UK, preferably on that I can just plug the cabe for the nexus DSC in to? I have tried using google but so much information comes up that it is very confusing!

I am hoping that someone has bought such an encoder and can let me know the best place in the UK to get one.

i would go direct to astro systems. everytime i have ordered of serge my items have always arrive within 10 days, usually 1 week