NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heq5 pro tracking issues.

Having repaired around half a dozen of the old type boards (mainly in dobsonian scopes) this normally suggests that the two 16F886 PICs are blown, but these new boards use an ARM Cortex processor and I have no idea of its functionality, other than it will still use the same protocol.

It shouldn't be possible to connect the two cables from the power / handset / ST4 port daughter board to the wrong terminals on the new board, as the two ports are 5 pin and 6 pin respectively, so  it would be obvious if you plugged the 5 pin into the 6 pin as the 6 pin would then not fit the 5 pin socket.

When you say different cables,  what cables?  - If you are using an direct connection between a PC and mount, this MUST be a dedicated EQDIR cable designed for use with SW telescopes. 

1 minute ago, malc-c said:

When you say different cables,  what cables?  - If you are using an direct connection between a PC and mount, this MUST be a dedicated EQDIR cable designed for use with SW telescopes. 

Should have clarified more. I tried using a different cable same style as the hc cable (RJ45) and still that same error. tried to reseat the original cable and even switching the end around. I dont have a EQDIR cable to use and try. im gonna do some tests with a multimeter and see if everything is getting enough current. Maybe i can rule something out before i have to send the whole mount back

7 minutes ago, SirSnackz said:

Should have clarified more. I tried using a different cable same style as the hc cable (RJ45) and still that same error. tried to reseat the original cable and even switching the end around. I dont have a EQDIR cable to use and try. im gonna do some tests with a multimeter and see if everything is getting enough current. Maybe i can rule something out before i have to send the whole mount back

Still sounds as clear as mud to me :)

I might be a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm struggling to follow this thread.  Initially you reported that the mount wasn't tracking, but appeared to be responding to NSEW movements when driven by the controller.  You then mentioned  you suspected a blown board (what gave you that impression as you never mentioned and handset messages about a failed response from any axis) and you purchased a new replacement which turned out to be of the newer ARM based boards.  When fitted it didn't respond to one axis, and there were no messages indicating a communications issue, but on investigation one of the connectors had come away form the board.  This was then replaced with a third board under warranty.  Now that board has failed (first time use ?).  

Now either SW have a big issue in that these new replacement boards are dramatically failing, or they are being damaged by the cables you are using, or the handset has been damaged as a result.  Now I'm sure if you returned the mount to the retailer and asked them to resolve the issue it would be doable, but at what cost given the history.  I'm not saying its "user error" but if I was the retailer I would be quite sceptical that two brand new replacement boards would fail in such quick succession.  It "could" have been a touch of heavy handedness when the board was fitted, or possibly that board did have a poorly soldered connector which broke off when the mount moved?  And now its replacement is faulty too...  So they may feel like charging you for the repair rather than it being a warranty repair... it depends on the generosity, and the fact that they would need to prove this wasn't the case.

Personally if you're not sure how these boards work, probing around with a multimeter may not prove anything and you may make maters worse.  I would suggest contacting the retailer and asking them to accept the mount back with a view of returning it to you in a tested and working order. 

Any way that's my 2c worth..... 

To summarize so far:

Originally Slews and GoTo okay, but once on target it wouldn't track.

Handset was set to Sidereal, so should have tracked.

Do a reset of the handset and start over ?

Too late.

He changed a board, misconnected, broke the connector off.

Michael