Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Straightening Up My Polar Scope

Mikey0368

I had the polar scope out of my HEQ5 as it was away being repaired/tuned, but now it's back I'd like to line it up properly so that 0 is at the top, 6 at the bottom, etc, without me having to rotate the mount.  Can anyone give me any pointers? I had a quick search on YouTube but couldn't see what I'm after.

Thanks.

To be honest I wouldn't bother. You could get it approximately correct by loosing the 3 graticule clamping set-screws so that the graticule can be rotated to near the correct position (not easily done with the polar scope fitted in the RA axis) but then you would need to go through the realignment procedure so that the graticule is correctly centred around the RA axis (which will probably effect the position of 0).  From my (limited) plumbing experience, I've often wondered that, if the 0 was initially clockwise of the required vertical position, the application of some plumbing PTFE tape to the polar scope/RA axis thread would restrict how far the polar scope could be screwed in and therefore leaving 0 in the correct position - but then I don't think I would want to use an adjustable wrench to tighten it to get it spot on 😆