NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY binocular headrest for more stable views.

Seems like I didn’t post about the use of a commercial widget to make monopod use more stable…. The move-shoot-move Z-V adjustable bracket  on a monopod adds a little extra height and also provides extra tilt for observing at high elevations without the load on the ball head become too off centre. https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/754824-widget-for-helping-high-angle-monopod-use/

https://www.moveshootmove.com/products/z-v-platform-designed-with-alyn-wallace-preorder

Back to the current post…. A new Swarovski binocular has a an adjustable headrest to help stabilise their higher power models. Got me wondering about adding one to my astro bins, but laziness over how to design it set in… until now, when I was playing with the Z-V widget and it got me thinking.

On its own it won’t fit properly, but adding a custom block to the bottom places the flat surface in the right location. (I 3D printed the block.. but if wood would work)

You could vary the size and thickness if you wanted. I’ll probably round the edges and add a thin bit of neoprene to make it a bit softer on the forehead. Should fit most centre mount binoculars.

I am going to tweak the shape of the rest so it is a bit closer to the eyepieces and is more vertical, probably need a different one for each of my binoculars, for instance there is an adjustable locking lever that can get in the way for centre focus, just need to raise the metal up a bit… extend the block down to compensate…

Now I can get more stable views, as the more stable you can get your binoculars the more you can see.

Peter

99BE01F1-1901-49C4-B844-A2139A6A0153.jpeg

8882C365-797E-49BE-8840-3DE492BC0B47.jpeg

• Like 1

Kinda unclear what exactly you have invented here without the full context 🤔

My guess is that you have used that MSM rotator arm-head to place that orange block precisely against your forehead when at the eyepieces for better binos stability?

That would work if the back of your head is resting on something fixed to the ground as well (a chair's back). If not, a very good cushioning is a must to prevent view shaking. Not just to feel it better on the skin. See the rubber eyeguards? They are not only for the side light cut off but mostly to prevent exact that problem at the high magnification when they are resting on your eye sockets bone. So, instead of a thick or long cushioning piece there I'd suggest 3D printing a simple scissors spring in the middle. It will be damping head shaking much more efficiently. Though it's main benefit is to unload these large binos weight on your face, not to improve the view stability directly. However, the latter will be surely benefited from your muscles tiring slower with that attachment.

By the way, when I had a similar idea (head-mounted 2x54 monocular) I've got my head 3D scanned professionally 😇 So now I can design such "bionic" things simply subtracting that head shape from the 3D model. Try that! (just make sure your hairstyle is not getting into the way, I regret I didn't cut them shorter back then 🤦‍♂️).

your assumption is right, I’ve unfolded the Z bracket (screwed the camera screw into the binocular tripod hole) and then made the orange block to “fill the gap to my head”, getting the shape exactly right isn’t too critical as you can rock the binoculars up and down a bit and still look through them.
When standing up you press the binoculars into your head, makes the view more stable and easier to hold as well. I quite often observe by on the ground with a pillow and the rest taken the weight better.

I have meant to make a bracket to hold 2x54 onto a cheap go pro headband. I do have a 3D scan of my head (and it’s short hair(!), will have a play… I’ve printed some mini heads for “custom lego men” 😉

cheers

peter

• Like 1

• 2 months later...